PDA

View Full Version : Pre Flop Raising

Leave_it_2_Beav
08-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Greetings,

I have been playing NL $25 lately. Just wanted to get a rule of thumb on raising PF.
AA from early postion, mid and late
KK
AK
QQ
JJ
TT
What other hands is a standard raise PF in this game (depending on position?)

Any comments will help.

Cheers,

_beav

JrJordan
08-05-2004, 12:29 PM
I'll toss in the usual cliche of "it depeneds". Certain marginal hands are worthy of a raise in certain situations. Here's a basic rundown of what I usually do.

AA-QQ: Raise any position, very rarely to I try a limp reraise with AA or KK, only on the LAGgiest of tables.
JJ-TT: Raise if the first one in (usually EP), limp when I have a few limpers to me to go for set value and an easy fold if big overcards come.
AKs, AKo: Raise anywhere, but much more cautiously than with big pairs.
AQs, AQo: Raise if first one in. In the blinds I will usually just call if there are multiple limpers as well.
AJs: Limp from EP, raise if first/second in for MP/LP.
AJo: Fold EP, similar to AJs for other positions.
KQs: Fold EP, limp MP, raise with position and few limpers

I've also found that blind stealing is fairly easy at these levels, as long as you knwo to avoid the LAG's. If folds come around to me on the button, I'll raise with any A, 2 broadway cards, sutied connectors > 65s, and the occasional 72o. If they reraise, I can usually get out easily. If they call, I bet hard on the flop again regardless of what hits. More often than not they will fold to the continued aggression.

Leave_it_2_Beav
08-05-2004, 12:48 PM
How may BB do you raise in a particular situation. I have been having the problem of either raising to little and getting killed with Ax suited, small pairs catching sets, etc. or raising to much and everyone folding. Thanks for your feedback.

_beav

JrJordan
08-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Typical raise is 4xBB. If I have two limpers in front of me, I'll usually make it 5xBB. If the table is a loose cannon I'll go 6-7xBB. And for the most part, Axs is not a raising hand. I'd only raise it as a steal in LP with folds around to me.

Leave_it_2_Beav
08-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Thanx Jordan. Some great info. I do not raise with Axs either unless trying to steal, what I was saying was I was getting beat by Axs because I did not raise my lets say KK enough to push the Axs out of the hand. 4x BB is my target raise moving forward.

Cheers

_beav

burningyen
08-06-2004, 05:55 PM
I'm surprised that you fold KQs in EP. Do you know other players who do this?

Rah
08-06-2004, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't fold KQ in early position, but I rarely raise it. The hand is not particularly strong, and raising is mainly for folding ace-rags or stealing the blinds.