PDA

View Full Version : Getting 2:1 Odds on a Flopped Nut Flush Draw - Call?

Frogger
08-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Here's the situation.

It's pretty early in a 50+5 Single at Party.

I limp with A9s along with a few other callers and I flop a flush draw. It's checked to me and I bet out 75. The button goes all in and the LAG on the SB also goes all in.

Is the pot laying me good enough odds to calls this? If I catch my flush, I'll have 3,000 chips but if I lose I'll be out of the tournament..

mistrpug
08-05-2004, 11:29 AM
How good are you? The better player you are, the more you should be inclined to wait for a better spot to get your money in. If you're just average (or even bad), take a shot.

Cleveland Guy
08-05-2004, 11:29 AM
How early is early? how do you know this guy is a LAG?

How many chips do you have left in folding? How many people are still at the table?

What were the blinds? What exactly was the flop - besides 4 to your flush?

There is a lot of information that needs to be answered here - but I'm inclinded to say FOLD.

The only way I might call is if you are short stacked, or the flop if the flop is Axx. with the XX being the cards of your suit.

But a "naked" nut flush draw vs. 2 all ins smells trouble to me.

PrayingMantis
08-05-2004, 11:34 AM
What is the flop? How do you know SB is LAG, if it's so early, or did you play with him before? And also, LAG usually refers to betting and raising. He *called* all-in, so this is a matter of calling standards, which are usually much higher than betting standards, even for LAGS. sometimes very drastically so.

Thythe
08-05-2004, 11:35 AM
I'm inclined to agree. One of them could easily have a set in which case even if you make your flush, you could still lose to a full house.

mack23
08-05-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm not so concerned with how you know the player is LAG, or what the board looks like. We're assuming hitting your flush will take down the hand. The debate is, are you playing the %s correctly? The chance to nail a flush when you know you have the turn and river to come is 38%. This is 2.6 to 1. You're not quite getting what you need here to make this a +EV play, and pretty much knowing you will be eliminated if you don't hit the flush makes this a solid fold.

-Mack

sammy_g
08-05-2004, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is the pot laying me good enough odds to calls this? If I catch my flush, I'll have 3,000 chips but if I lose I'll be out of the tournament..

[/ QUOTE ]

How can we calculate pot odds when you haven't told us the pot size or the bet sizes? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

UncleDuke
08-05-2004, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The debate is, are you playing the %s correctly? The chance to nail a flush when you know you have the turn and river to come is 38%. This is 2.6 to 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't correct. It's acutally about 35%, but that is more like 1.86 to 1 (it would be 1.63 to 1 at 38%). A call is reasonable in a ring game, but because of tournament considerations (you can't get more chips if you don't win the hand), I'd tend to fold here unless the player feels he has little chance to outplay his opposition.

patrick dicaprio
08-05-2004, 07:29 PM
of course he could but on the other hand he is only a 2-1 dog. i would probably fold here as well by the way but it is a tough decision, as even if you are the best player at the table that still only menas a 40% ITM or so but if you make the flush you are in great shape to make the money.
I guess if you know your ITM and win percentages you will make a better decision.

Pat

poboy
08-05-2004, 07:38 PM
I might be wrong here but how could it ever be correct to call an all-in without a made hand? Unless the all-in is a short stack and you would still have alot of chips left even if you lost(which is the most likely outcome). If it's early why bother with such a play. You will have plenty of chances later on when you can be more certain you hold the advantage. Easy fold in my opinion. Perhaps had you checked it to him he would not have gone all in and rather tried to trap you with a smaller bet, that's when I'd try to outdraw him. Even that I think would be a questionable play.

ddubois
08-05-2004, 10:19 PM
I would call an all-in with K/images/graemlins/heart.gifQ/images/graemlins/heart.gif on a J/images/graemlins/heart.gifT/images/graemlins/heart.gif3/images/graemlins/club.gif board, especially if I have the bettor covered. You're a slight favorite over two-pair and 2:1 favorite over TPTK.