PDA

View Full Version : Andy Fox

05-10-2002, 10:46 AM
Andy -

In a thread below, you talk about 'when you played', and another player mentions something about a health problem.

I do not know the details and will not ask/pry. But I do know that this forum is/was ten times better with you as a participant. As much as I love Tommy's, Bob's, Vince's, and others' posts, yours will always have the cake-taking ability. You've thoroughly convinced me that you have a better understanding of life than the rest of us here.

I heartily thank you for the kind, encouraging, and thought-provoking words over the months. I wish you (and loved ones) a very speedy recovery, and if this is an area in life where good luck is needed, I'm sure you are very deserving. You've given us all something great to strive to be.

Josh

05-10-2002, 11:59 AM
Thanks for your kind words. I don't know if I have a better understanding of life than anyone else, but I sure have a better understanding of it now than I did a couple of months ago.

I suffered a ruptured disk and the ruptured part was resting on my sciatic nerve, which caused excruciating pain. After two hospital stays and taking so many drugs I didn't know which way was us, I finally had an operation, which relieved the agonizing pain, but caused other problems, including, among other things, severe weight loss, depression, and a breathing problem that was frightening and maddening and which is just now getting somewhat better. I'm walking a bit now, working a few hours a day, and I've made up my mind I'm gonna beat this f*cker.

I debated posting on the gossip forum, remembering something beautiful Vince had posted a while back about his sister that made me cry, but it's one thing to talk about someone else you feel for and quite another to talk about yourself, and I don't think I could do as good a job as Vince did anyway.

Many thanks again for your nice words. I'm a lucky man. I've been to hell, but I've been given the opportunity to come back, an opportunity a lot of other people don't get. I remember when I was a kid and all those old farts would say it all goes by so fast and "as long as you have your health. . ." and I remember thinking, yeah, yeah, blah-blah-blah. Little did I know.

Wrong forum for this, I know, but I figured that "since you asked" . . . Anyway, I look forward to the day, hopefully in a couple of months or so, when I can post about my first session back at the table.

05-10-2002, 12:03 PM
Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

Back to battle,

Riker

05-10-2002, 12:27 PM
Andy- sending lots of kisses and hugs your way. XXOO Babe.

05-10-2002, 01:13 PM
Hi Andy...This is the first time I've heard about any of this!

I had noticed you weren't posting much lately and I was curious why but figured you had your reasons.

You are definitely one of the nicest people that post here and your input is always well thought out and appreciated. We all wish the very best..and a speedy recovery.

And yes life is short...and the older you get the faster it goes is very true!

Concentrate on the good things that happen each day and don't dwell on the negative or things in which you have no control over.

Take care my friend!!!

05-10-2002, 01:26 PM
We get pretty hung up on the small stuff in life: bad beats, shitty dealers, high rakes...

But when your health, family, or friends comes up against something, none of those other things seems real important anymore.

I'd say that you seem to have a good number of folks around here who are wishing you well, and I'm one of them.

Dave

05-10-2002, 01:50 PM
the best to andy

05-10-2002, 02:18 PM

05-10-2002, 02:37 PM
It had been previously asked where Sredni had gone, and this was the reply:

....And presently his eyes were rewarded: out through that doorway came a long, low, yellow-and-brown beast, with eyes a-blink at the waning daylight, and dark wet stains around the fur of jaws and throat. Conradin dropped on his knees. The great polecat-ferret made its way down to a small brook at the foot of the garden, drank for a moment, then crossed a little plank bridge and was lost to sight in the bushes. Such was the passing of Sredni Vashtar.

But Saki forgot to add...

...and before Sredni could emerge from the bush, a garbled, familiar whispering was heard in the wind. Mere mortals would not have been able to discern it, but as the voice in the wind knew so well, Sredni was no normal ferret, but a god of not unsubstantial abilities. So where lessers would have been left unknowing, Sredni was able to discern that the voice calling was that of The Fox, poster of many great things, emailer of modified Christmas Stories (yes he himself).

So a great Vastharian message was communicated, and as Sredni was a god, no media was required. He trusted that The Fox would retrieve the message from that place where only his mind could wander.

And in Sredni's eye he could see The Fox smile,

and Sredni's fleeting return was thus rewarded.

As Sredni continued on his path to nowhere, he did wonder, ever so briefly, if Andy, too, held toast in his buttery fingers.

Sredni Vasthar

05-10-2002, 07:36 PM
I sent you an email on the other stuff (sorry, I only had your work address), but I wanted to let you know that I'm not going to put up with this when I played shit just because you've been away from the tables for a month or so.

05-10-2002, 11:40 PM
"he could see The Fox smile"

It's been tough to do of late, but Sredni produced a big one. Thanks, Ross.

And thanks to all the rest of you above for your kind thoughts as well. I've only met a few of you in person, but I'm honored to have met all of you, whether in the flesh or here as posters.

05-11-2002, 12:12 AM
Andy - I wish you a quick and complete recovery and Health and Happiness in the future.

"Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily." - Isaiah ch 58, v. 5

-Zeno

P.S. We will hook up sometime at the Commerce in the future. You can bet on it.

05-11-2002, 02:26 AM
I feel your pain. what happened to you happened to me. at the time I had never been in so much pain 24-7, for weeks at a time. like you, I got extremely depressed and worried that I would never be pain free again. my first quack doctor told me I would be in pain the rest of my life. fortunately he was wrong. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

I eventually got better. A very good physical therapist got me back on track and I've only had one relapse with my sciatic nerve. So there is hope. just get as much exersize as you can tolerate. that worked for me.

05-12-2002, 12:11 AM
Sorry to hear this, I just suspected that you were off to France or China or something. Get better soon.

05-12-2002, 02:43 AM
Andy,

Aha "Ross", a "Sredni Vashtar" identity clue (or am I the only one left clueless on this one).

Anyway, best wishes from Rick and Hero and we hope to see you soon!