PDA

View Full Version : six max or full game?

EvanJC
08-05-2004, 10:44 AM
when playing NL, which do you guys prefer, and why? just curious about different opinions.

Raiser
08-05-2004, 11:10 AM
I like the 10 max games.

The 6 max games are a little too crazy for me. I hear they are very profitable though if you like short handed play.

SpiderMnkE
08-05-2004, 11:18 AM
I am going to be switching to six max... the players I know are profiting huge from them.

Plus... whenever one of my tables get short... I stick around and make a lot more money faster.

I'm going for the transition... but it is a totally different game... so be prepared for a learning curve if you go 6 max.

SkippingGoat
08-05-2004, 01:15 PM
I prefer 6max. Too many full table players multi-table leading them to play more tight, abc poker. 6max players typically play only one table, have less patience, and get involved with much more marginal holdings. At 6max tables, however, player information becomes more important so you'll want to keep a close eye on what people are playing/raising etc. Also, the more frequent blinds demand that you get involved in more pots and you will probably have to run some bluffs in order to not get eaten away by the blinds (wheras at full table games a strategy that employs next to no bluffs can be successful at low limits).

schwza
08-05-2004, 02:19 PM
i like 6max, largely cause you get to play more hands. also, you're more likely to be in hands with the same person many times, so being able to read a player is more valuable, which gives me incentive to pay attention.

i'd say the question should be whether to play 1 6-max or 2 full table games.

JrJordan
08-05-2004, 02:47 PM
So I guess that rules out 4-tabling the 6 maxes. Qll kidding aside, how much harder is it to 4 table the 6 max tables compared to the full ring games. I find 4 tabling for a 10 max relatively easy now, but feel the extra hands/hour combined with looser preflop standards make it too hard to play that many for 6 max. Anyone gomt some advice for a multitable transition?

Huskiez
08-05-2004, 04:22 PM
I think 4 tabling the 6 max tables is easy enough to do if you can 4 table 10 max tables. I'll assume when you 4 table 10 max tables that you go more so based on your cards than based on reads on players. If so, you shouldn't have much trouble playing the 6 max tables.

I would suggest playing 2 10 max tables and 2 6 max tables, getting used to that, and then going all 6 max tables. I'm able to do 6-8 10 max tables (but don't do it often, simply because there isn't much space on the monitor).

JrJordan
08-05-2004, 06:35 PM
I've dipped at the 6-max 4 tabling every once in awhile. I haven't made a committed effort to adjusting though. My preflop standards are pretty weak I think for the 6 max right now. At the rate the full ring games are drying up though, I'd better learn fast.

AtlBrvs4Life
08-05-2004, 06:39 PM
I love the six max games. More action, more fish, and more hands to play. I usually do 3 six maxes, or 2 tournaments and 2 six maxes. Good times.

EvanJC
08-07-2004, 08:28 PM
follow up question...what would you all say are the chief differences in starting hand selection one would need to make when switching from six max limit to six max nl, if there are such differences?

Sponger15SB
08-07-2004, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've dipped at the 6-max 4 tabling every once in awhile. I haven't made a committed effort to adjusting though. My preflop standards are pretty weak I think for the 6 max right now. At the rate the full ring games are drying up though, I'd better learn fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jordan, my 6-max NL game is borderline rock, and i find no problems. I even had a guy heckling me the other day because i was rarely playing hands, yet i doubled up 2x and found myself sitting on the biggest stack at the table. right now i'm 4 tabling, able to make pretty good reads, and i'm trying my best to type this to you. 6-max players are way more agressive, and it is also easier to spot the weaker players, as there are less reads to make. i spent about 3 weeks 2 tabling $50 6-max, and now I just feel like i'm wasting money if i play anything less.

Sponger15SB
08-07-2004, 09:24 PM
if you want to watch me play, come to any of my tables right now (14132, 14178, 14126), i'm putting on a clinic on how to bluff right into 20 calling stations.

woop woop woop woop /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

MisterKing
08-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Well, for starters you cannot sit back and wait for hands Sklansky puts in Groups 1-3. In every seat you're going to have to loosen up a little.

If I can see the flop cheaply (e.g. 2x the BB or less), I'll go as low as meduim suited connectors and PP's in early position, and suited one-gappers/any PP/KTo in late position. I do modify this according to the texture of the game, but I don't think any game at any point requires you to play much looser than KTo on the button. Even that is borderline, I think people will affirm.

More important than the necessary adjustment in starting hands is how you play on the flop in 6-max. You'll have to be willing to play second pair good kicker confidently, and occasionally bluff the flop with a pot-sized bet when you miss completely with overcards. Anything weaker than that and you might be in real trouble.

Last, but not least, deception matters more. I drop the hammer (72o) every now and then in 6-max just to keep people awake, at least when I think I can show it down very cheaply. People seem to remember a bluff with 72o more than they do other hands, and I'll gladly give them the impression that my calling standards are weak.

MisterKing
08-07-2004, 09:44 PM
By the way, "The Cards Speak" (http://cardsspeak.servebeer.com) has a good starters guide to small stakes NL for anyone interested. Even if you're not looking for advice, Hank has a great blog going there.

gergery
08-08-2004, 07:08 AM
The 6 max are awesome!

The knowledge base is lower on how to play, it attracts people who want action, you get a lot more hands so get less bored and are able to get good reads (playing 2 tables).

Your advantage as a good poker player is higher at the 6 max

I won't go back to full ring now.

--Greg

warlockjd
08-08-2004, 06:41 PM
Haven't read any other replies.

For Party, 6 max is where it's at profitwise, but I must point out that I lost for 2 str8 weeks while adjusting from 10 handed to 6 handed so expect this if you are not used to SH.

That initial investment will pay huge dividends tho.

Start out playing your tight 10 handed game. You will get anted to death, then you will adjust by being a bit looser, and eventually you'll find a happy medium.

For instance, in SH play, I think against a TYPICAL opponent it is profitable to reraise all in with QQ and AKs on the Party $100 NL 6 max.

warlockjd
08-08-2004, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I prefer 6max. Too many full table players multi-table leading them to play more tight, abc poker. 6max players typically play only one table, have less patience, and get involved with much more marginal holdings. At 6max tables, however, player information becomes more important so you'll want to keep a close eye on what people are playing/raising etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally Agree 100%. Reads are vital to your success. Don't open your web browser for at least 1/2 an hour after sitting down (if multitabling). Get solid reads/notes

[ QUOTE ]
you will probably have to run some bluffs in order to not get eaten away by the blinds (wheras at full table games a strategy that employs next to no bluffs can be successful at low limits).

[/ QUOTE ] '

Couldn't disagree more here. Without some sort of fantastic/very strong read bluffing is almost always -EV at these tables in my opinion. These tables are full of calling stations, which makes stone cold bluffs very -EV. Save your bullets for a war you know you will win.

warlockjd
08-08-2004, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I guess that rules out 4-tabling the 6 maxes. Qll kidding aside, how much harder is it to 4 table the 6 max tables compared to the full ring games. I find 4 tabling for a 10 max relatively easy now, but feel the extra hands/hour combined with looser preflop standards make it too hard to play that many for 6 max. Anyone gomt some advice for a multitable transition?

[/ QUOTE ]

Much easier IMO. You have only 20 opponents to keep track of (as opposed to 36 full-handed)

warlockjd
08-08-2004, 06:50 PM
We may get a good debate going here.

Any Pair
Axs
Suited 1 2 and 3 gappers.
ATo and above
KTo and above
QTo and above
JTo and above

(limping only)

cornell2005
08-09-2004, 02:20 PM
id recommend that after you learn the basics of the game, you "learn" how to play in 6 max. you get alot more interesting situations, and it teaches you how to "play" more