PDA

View Full Version : best place to place deep-stack NLHE?

schwza
08-05-2004, 10:10 AM
i've played almost exclusively at 50BB Party, and i was recently in a live hand at Foxwoods with ~225BB stacks and i felt totally lost (i posted the hand... side note: can anyone tell me how to post a link?).

i want to get some practice playing deeper stacks, preferably playing 6-max, $50 or $100 buy-in. i've heard stars is pretty tight. what site is the best to play at? i have accounts at UB and stars, but would be happy to get one somewhere else.

UACat97
08-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Golden Palace Poker (or Victor Chandler for Euros) has 200x max buy-in games up to .25/.50 blinds. Anything larger is 100x max. Good luck.

schwza
08-05-2004, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Golden Palace Poker (or Victor Chandler for Euros) has 200x max buy-in games up to .25/.50 blinds. Anything larger is 100x max. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

how are the players there (compared to, say, UB and stars)?

UACat97
08-05-2004, 03:50 PM
Right now GPP is the only site I play, so I can't give any good comparisons.

I'll just give you this and you can take it how you will: I've only been playing Hold 'Em since December. In early March I had an account balance of $30. I turned that into $900 by mid-June playing .05/.10 blinds. Switched to .25/.50 then and have run my balance to $3200 over about 100 hours playing 2 tables at a time.

I don't think I'm particularly good (weak-tight, mostly) and a lot of it is probably just a great run of cards. But there are a good number of soft spots that buy in for the max. And the site being smaller, you get to see a lot of the same players all the time.

Of course, I've felt like one of those soft spots the past week or so. As hot as July was for me, August so far has been a bummer, playing break-even poker. I'm hoping it's just a statistical correction (I was making 25 big blinds/table hr for much of July) and not that I'm actually much worse than I thought.

Sorry to make a novel of this. The site is smaller and therefore game selection is limited. A large number of the players are Brits, too, so primetime is shifted earlier in the day for us Americans. For these reasons, I'm going to be moving to a site with 100x buy-ins and getting Pokertracker. I'll probably be posting here more often for help, too.

Hope this helps. If you check out GPP and see me playing (username's same there as here), say "Hey". That way I can watch out for you...

wegs the wegs
08-05-2004, 04:29 PM
I would avoid Golden Palace. I had a very rough time with that site when I attempted to cash out. They took several weeks before they even began to process my application. Plus, not trying to sound like a conspiracy theorist, I found myself experiencing an unusual amount of bad beats on the river. I would normally not bring that up but everyone I know and have talked to about the site said they experienced the same thing when they attempted to cash out. Just a word of warning.

PS - The games on the site are very easy, especially the smaller stakes SnG's

UACat97
08-05-2004, 05:22 PM
I too had a tough time with my first cash-in. After a mix-up with my Neteller account number and some other customer service missteps, it took about 2 weeks. Subsequent cash-outs have taken ~2 business days to Neteller, though.

I haven't noticed any stranger river suck-outs than in my regular homegame, so I can't corroborate that. My main complaint, as stated before, is the game selection, due to it being a smaller site. But if Schwza is looking to try out some deeper stack games, I think it's worth it.