PDA

View Full Version : Was I too aggressive?

ddollevoet
08-05-2004, 09:14 AM
I played in a local NLHE tourney last night (one of those where you win a trip to Vegas if you win the championship. This tourney was a qualifier. About 3 hours in, we are down to 12 people, 2 tables of six. At my table, there are no huge stacks. I am not quite short stacked, but I'm below the table average.

I am BB and am dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP calls. SB calls. I check. The flop is 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif. SB checks, I check, MP checks. Turn: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB checks. I push.

Was I too agressive? I'm trying to improve my game, so any advice is welcomed.

MLG
08-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Stack size and blind size. We always need stack size and blinds, otherwise its like asking if a girl is hot and showing us a picture from the neck down. Sure, we can see some important parts, but any acurate judgement is just speculation.

ddollevoet
08-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Sorry. Blinds were $1,000 / $2,000. I had about $13,000 left.

MLG
08-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Ok, the play itself is fine, but I would have thought about moving in preflop, unless you thought that MP limping meant a monster, and if you did think that then you shouldn't be moving in now. On the whole those chips in the middle are important to you, punish the limper and move all-in preflop.

SossMan
08-05-2004, 11:22 AM
Was this a satellite? If so, how many players got seats to the big tourney?
On the face of it, I think the play is fine, but I doubt you are going to get a middle pair to fold. I think you are pushing here because you have the best hand and don't want to get outdrawn.

ddollevoet
08-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the repies. It is nice to have someone to bounce things off of.

Unfortunately for me both the MP and SB called. Both were slow playing their K's. They split the pot and I went home. Oh well, there is always next week.

gergery
08-05-2004, 02:05 PM
I would likely have pushed preflop.

On the flop, any 3 or K could slowplay here (K not too worried about overcard hitting), so the checks don’t mean they don’t have something. I would have expected an opponent pocket pair to bet at that board on flop, and an ace to have raised you preflop. So you are either way ahead to an opponent needing to hit 6 outs, or way behind needing 3 outs. So there’s no need for all-in – bet half the pot around 4k, and if they raise you can fold, and if they call you are very likely to have the best hand if no K or 3 is out).

--Greg