PDA

View Full Version : One Way to Limit the Spam

Lost Wages
08-05-2004, 08:55 AM
Put new users on probation. For their first 50 posts they can only reply, not create a new post.

Lost Wages

BirthdayBoy
08-05-2004, 08:58 AM
Nice Idea, but......

BirthdayBoy
Do you know...

BirthdayBoy
how quick...

BirthdayBoy
you can make...

BirthdayBoy
08-05-2004, 08:59 AM
50 replies?

Mike Haven
08-05-2004, 09:09 AM
I think that spam is to be expected.

When someone new finds out that they can become an affiliate and make some money, to them it is like they've invented the wheel, and they want to tell everyone else before anyone else finds out. They probably have no prior knowledge of or interest in poker, and they google-search for forums and anything poker-related and hit'em hard, the first day - that guy yesterday who spammed all 20 forums was an extreme example.

You'll never stop this happening, and most, except Eugene, catch on to the "rules" within a few days.

Imo, you should use the "advise moderator" button, and move on to the next thread without bothering to respond - spam is always deleted within a few hours.

ChristinaB
08-05-2004, 09:15 AM
I like the no reply rule, Mike. Although maybe one person could reply with:

[b]Newbies: Please do not click on the Spam link above. If you need an affilate deal, please post a request for offers from respected affiliates.

TobDog
08-05-2004, 11:09 AM
If Matt can delete spam posts, can he lock them so no one else can post to bump them either?

Thythe
08-05-2004, 11:16 AM
If he finds the post, what would be the benefit to locking it instead of deleting it?

TobDog
08-05-2004, 11:33 AM
you see "post deleted by Matt S" but people still post replies to the original spam bumping it to the top.

Simon Diamond
08-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Imo, you should use the "advise moderator" button, and move on to the next thread without bothering to respond - spam is always deleted within a few hours.

This is advice that everyone should heed, but very few seem to. The usual, "you suck" or "you're stupid" replies to spam posts only serve to keep it at the top of the page instead of dying away into obscurity.

The people 'bumping' these threads need only notify the moderator and be done with it. Think before you click the [Ok, submit] button.

Simon

jwvdcw
08-05-2004, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This is advice that everyone should heed, but very few seem to. The usual, "you suck" or "you're stupid" replies to spam posts only serve to keep it at the top of the page instead of dying away into obscurity.

The people 'bumping' these threads need only notify the moderator and be done with it. Think before you click the [Ok, submit] button.

Simon

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly...everyone read this! And do it!

jwvdcw
08-05-2004, 04:20 PM
I like the idea about 50 posts replies before a topic started as well. I might even make it 100.

Hiding
08-05-2004, 05:30 PM
I think I am the slow kid on the short bus, because I have never been able to find the alert moderator button. Any pointers where to look?

TobDog
08-05-2004, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its the icon on the bottom right under each post.

[ QUOTE ]
I think I am the slow kid on the short bus

[/ QUOTE ]
Always wear your helmet

Jim Kuhn
08-05-2004, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I am the slow kid on the short bus, because I have never been able to find the alert moderator button. Any pointers where to look?

[/ QUOTE ]
We were not slow! We were special!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hiding
08-05-2004, 10:29 PM
Thank you for the information. and I do feel special, but the helmet gets in the way of my head gear.