PDA

View Full Version : QUEENS, commited before ACE on turn

roma12
08-05-2004, 04:57 AM
partypoker, 25nl, early, raise 3 pf, caller behind me, JJJ flop, i lead into guy the pot of 7, he flat calls...ace on turn, what do i do...

pot is 22, i have 14 left...his stack can match mine.

bsiu5
08-05-2004, 04:47 PM
i'd check to him and if he goes all-in you lay down or hope he doesn't have a made hand.

you could bet and if he goes over the top lay down. either way you have 2nd best hand

bsiu5
08-05-2004, 04:49 PM
next time you could check the flop and act like your slowplaying. if he bets check-raise representing boat or full. if he comes over the top lay down.

tough hand to lay down but it is 2nd best so i'd consider laying down.

JrJordan
08-05-2004, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure he would call a pot sized flop bet with just an A. My guess is he has a lower pocket pair and your hand is good here. I'd be willing to put my remaining stack at risk because of the already decent pot odds. I think if you push here though, you may only get called by a hand that beats you. I'd check to the villain, and call any bet he makes on either the turn or river. You're not getting much from a value bet, so it's better to try and induce a bluff. Either way, I'm going to the felt with this one.

bsiu5
08-05-2004, 05:22 PM
i take my comments back JrJordan is right you could just check call it down, that's why i come to 2 + 2 to learn from the great ones.

roma12
08-05-2004, 05:51 PM
well, i think most people would raise me on the flop with a pocket pair rather than calling 7. i think there are enough dumb players to see the JJJ board and think they have it with ace high-well thats what i thought atleast.

when the ace came, i checked, he checked.

river was a blank, i led 3 which was very stupid, he went all in for 11 more, i dumped.

JrJordan
08-05-2004, 05:56 PM
bsiu, thanks for the compliment but I'm hardly a great player. Talk to BK, Diablo, or Bunky for that. Anyway, roma you may have a point on the pocket pairs. I think you're right, he would raise with something like that. Still, with the pot odds you're getting, I think I stick with my answer and check/call to the river. The chance of a pair is certainly possible, along with a nut hand like KQ.

HajiShirazu
08-06-2004, 06:35 AM
If you are going to play for the rest of your chips you should probably check the turn because it's a great bluff card and a better hand except the unlikely KK will never fold to your bet anyway, while the ace also prevents a lot of worse hands from calling.
I might check the river too.
I don't play NL much except the party 25 though...

schwza
08-06-2004, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

you could bet and if he goes over the top lay down.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's not a good idea. you don't have enough chips to make that play. i like the plan of check-calling the turn and river.