PDA

View Full Version : 10-20 hand: Should I have called the river??

05-09-2002, 05:04 PM
Here a hand that makes me wish I concentrated more on gin rummy rather than poker.

10-20: Loose passive.

I'm in the BB with 4c7d.....EP, 2 MP, Button call. SB completes his bet. I check.

6 of us see the Flop:

5s8dKh....Giving me a gutshot draw...SB checks, I check, EP bets, both MP folds, Button raises.....SB mucks....I call....EP calls.

3 left to see the turn: 2c

I check, EP checks...Button bets...I call..EP check-raises.....Button thinks for a moment....then decided to muck his hand...I call

River is a J of diamonds.

I check.....EP bets....I call because "I want to keep him honest." EP says, "you win, I have nothing..and showed Q10.....I look at my cards and say, "Queen high is good" and muck my hand....EP takes it down.

After the hand, I get an invitation from everyone at the table to play in their home game. I'm honored...they must really love me.

Comments on my play....

05-09-2002, 05:07 PM

05-09-2002, 05:33 PM
Doesn't "You win" constitute a concession of the pot, and wouldn't it go to you at this point?

This came up in a hand I wasn't in (but at a table I was in), where pocket 2's beat out some guy with A3 (he had a pair of 3's) and the board (obviously) had 4 overcards to the 3, a straight, and a flush were also possible.

A3 says "You win" and shows his cards. The dealer starts to push the pot towards 22. A3 called over a floorman and the "You win" stood as a verbal concession of the pot.

Don't know how the house rules vary, though.

~D

05-09-2002, 05:33 PM

05-09-2002, 06:10 PM
I'm embarrassed to be joining in on one of this joker's threads, but I do believe that the overriding principle is that the cards speak for themselves. If the bluffer doesn't release his hand, it's still live.

05-09-2002, 08:05 PM

05-09-2002, 08:38 PM
Yes, indeed. Played my first hand of poker in two and a half months today at work and figured I'd check in. God bless those soft Paradise tournaments. Email me. I want updates on you and the Derrickmeister.

Burning_Spear14@hotmail.com