PDA

View Full Version : Making easily avoidable mistakes

TheCat
08-05-2004, 04:10 AM
I was playing in an onland tournament NLHE yesterday. Had been getting some good cards and playing well for two hours so I had a pretty good stack. I blew it all on one hand were I made a really foolish raise when clearly should have folded. Picked up JJ in CO, was folded to, raised 4xBB, button raised me another 6xBB, I pushed all in. My read on Button was a tight player so he was clearly beating me, unsurprisingly he turned over AA. Question is, why did I push when I knew it was probably a bad play? I was neither tired nor on tilt (in fact quite the opposite) nor otherwise emotionally upset. Indeed my game plan at that point was to play tight and wait for good cards.
Maybe that was it when I did see good cards I wasn’t going to quit for anything.
Logic told me this guy isn’t raising me with anything I can beat AK,AQ,22->TT. My emotions told me you have a good hand and cannot lose even if he is beating you now (or something). I had a smug confident feeling of invicibility: Arrrggghhhh!

The more I play poker the more I understand it's a battle against yourself as much as the opponents.
I don't ever want to play against Data from Star Trek.

SevenStuda
08-05-2004, 05:09 AM
I'm not sure if this will apply to you, but a friend once told me that when she is winning, she sometimes fells that anything she touches turns to gold. Often she finds herself playing cards that she normally wouldn't just because she's got the 'feel'.

-Dimitri

TheCat
08-05-2004, 06:26 AM
That sounds very much like the feeling I had yesterday.