PDA

View Full Version : Ram 'n Jam Draw

toby
08-05-2004, 03:44 AM
I don't have specific hand histories so this is more of a general question but do you often reraise draws on the flop (Open-Ended straight draws and A or K high flushes)? I tried that out tonight, pushing the aggression button a little but lost more than I won. It seems that if the draw comes, I don't make much afterwards. If it misses (technically it misses most of the time) I just lose a lot more than a check-call would.

Standard for me (before) drawing in EP is check-call, then check-raise if it comes. New style was bet (raise) reraise. And all too often, whiff.

Short-term frustration, or developing a big leak in my game?

Peter Harris
08-05-2004, 04:28 AM
i cap nut flush draws on the flop and on a low rainbow board with OESD and overcards. Except when i'm mixing up my play [rarely at .5/1]. It's got to be +EV.

Pete Harris

kenewbie
08-05-2004, 07:28 AM
I think you have a good point here. This is all very dependant on your position and where you are relative to the bettor though, as well as what players you are up against.

There are certainly times when it is better to do a check/raise once the flush gets there rather than spike the pot in advance. When you raise in late position before the flush gets there you most often get checked to on the next street which means you end up with the same amount of chips when you get your flush while you pay more when the flush doesnt come.

Also, people who has allready invested 1 bet to see the results at the river are more likely to pay the second bet than someone who has been raised on the turn are likely to pay off 1 bet at the river.

But again, which route to take here depends a lot on the individual hand.

k

chief444
08-05-2004, 08:29 AM
Read Ed's new book. He did a very good job of explaining how and why to play flush draws aggressively, when to try to keep opponents in, when to raise to hopefully fold out some weaker draws, etc. It's too much to try to get into one post. Post some hands as well where you just weren't sure.

bennyk
08-05-2004, 09:46 AM
The whole idea of rammin and jammin strong draws is that you're making an IMMEDIATE profit on every bet that goes into the pot. The concept hinges on the fact that your loose passive callers will call the raises, and keep calling when you hit your draw. Even if all of them don't pay you off to the river, you're still making money on these bets.

In addition to this, strong players may misread your hand when you cap off the betting with many callers, not giving you credit for the flush or straight when it hits.

Rammin' and jammin' your draws WILL increase your variance, since you will not hit your draw very often, but if ram and jam strong draws, you'll make up the difference and then some when you hit.

Read Izmet Fekali's articles for one of the most "definitive" views on this topic.

Read both Rammin' and Jammin' articles here (http://izmet.fekali.com/)

Hope that helps,
bk