PDA

View Full Version : Will the USA Mens Basketball team win a medal?

Clarkmeister
08-05-2004, 02:31 AM
I think it'll be close. The last two exhibition games, on the heels of our three consecutive losses in last years' World Championships has me convinced that none of this is a fluke. Lack of chemistry, effort and outside shooting have this team poised for a colossal embarassment. Indicative of their current chances, this squad is currently only at -220 offshore to win the Gold Medal in the Olympics this year. To be such a narrow favorite is unheard of for the US. I wouldn't be shocked to see us lose in a semifinal and then quit in the bronze game. I think no medal is a very realistic possibility.

miamikid
08-05-2004, 03:53 AM
I feel the US Basketball team will metal this Olympics.
Sure, it does not look good due to recent history. But, the last two games were exhibition games. Supposedly, the Italian team and German team are not that good. It's not like I follow international basketball, nor does the majority of NBA fans. But I do know that Larry Brown is one hell of a coach, and I have to think that he will be able to get this team to work together and actually play defense. Lack of chemistry, lack of fundamentals, adjustment to international rules all play a factor in the recent doldrum in US Basketball. Maybe I put too much stock in Larry Brown, but there are also some ridiculously good players on our team, and young coachable players.

jagoff
08-05-2004, 10:52 AM
These guys do not know how to play "team" basketball. I watched the first game against Puerto Rico and I saw no picks, no passing, and no pick and rolls. Plus the other countries teams have been together for a while, I think. We throw together a team and expect them to replicate what the "Dream Team" did back in '92. That ain't gonna happen. That team was by far and away the greatest team EVER assembled, no matter what ESPN says! Jordan, Barkley, Bird, Magic, Robinson, Ewing...just to name a few. I know that these guys were not known as "team" players but when they got together they meshed really well. These guys today are all about themselves and it is being shown on the court.

Victor
08-05-2004, 11:54 AM
The US clearly has the best, most athletic, most talented players. Unfortunately they have never played together and are not really a "team". The rest of these squads play together all the time for years on end. Team play is the most underrated thing in sports and especially basketball. Uhh....remember the Lakers. Still, talent can overcome anything as well, so this will be a classic tournament of teamwork versus raw ability. Should be fun to watch.

But why does it have to be? Why not send the Detroit Pistons? Does anyone doubt that they would clobber everyone? It wouldnt even be close. You could even throw in a couple americans for the pistons foreigners (like Tim Duncan for Darko). Now that would be fun.

andyfox
08-05-2004, 12:29 PM
What possible interest could basketball hold when there will be synchronized swimming to watch?

ThaSaltCracka
08-05-2004, 12:33 PM
they might medal.... but if they want to win the gold they are going to have to bust their ass. They look terrible out there.

I didn't really plan on watching any of the Olympics, and I am definitely not planning on watching this train wreck of a team.

jwvdcw
08-05-2004, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As opposed to steel or wood?

jwvdcw
08-05-2004, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sure, it does not look good due to recent history. But, the last two games were exhibition games. Supposedly, the Italian team and German team are not that good. It's not like I follow international basketball, nor does the majority of NBA fans. But I do know that Larry Brown is one hell of a coach, and I have to think that he will be able to get this team to work together and actually play defense. Lack of chemistry, lack of fundamentals, adjustment to international rules all play a factor in the recent doldrum in US Basketball. Maybe I put too much stock in Larry Brown, but there are also some ridiculously good players on our team, and young coachable players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard that a major problem is that Brown is not letting them get out and run a lot, which should be one of that team's strengths when you look at their roster.

nolanfan34
08-05-2004, 06:06 PM
I'm a Bill Simmons fan. His article about what the team SHOULD look like is perfect.

I think they'll be lucky to win the bronze, and I don't expect them to medal at all.

I know it was only exhibition...but they lost to ITALY!!!! And needed a buzzer beater to top Germany? Terrible.

At least the USA baseball team should be good...oh wait.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-05-2004, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mikeyvegas
08-05-2004, 08:35 PM
I'm of the opinion that they will probably not metal this year. The problem is they just don't have the big men that can defend on the perimiter and they are pretty weak at the point. Also, they have way to many 3 men that can't hit the international 3(jefferson, marion, melo).

I think it would interesting if Larry could get them to run a pressing system similar to what UAB was running during the NCAA's. With that many young, athletic players on one team, they sure could create a bunch of steals which result in easy buckets. And with the depth they have they would easily where down the opposing team.

jwvdcw
08-05-2004, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? What are you pointing out?