PDA

View Full Version : A few SSH preflop questions

el_grande
08-05-2004, 01:54 AM
I've been going through the preflop charts on pages 80-83 in great detail because I like to make my own cheatsheets in a format I like.

Anyway, There were a few things I found that didn't seem to mesh with the overall philosophy of the book so I wanted to verify or get an explanation on these plays. If I misinterpreted the charts let me know.

I understand that the charts are general guidelines and you should suit your play to the table...

For Tight Games...

AKo - Fold to a 3-bet instead of capping?
AQo - Always fold when it's been raised?
ATs - No coldcalling with this hand? If you are in a multiway hand in LP with coldcallers in front, you don't coldcall?

As a sidenote... The book says assume that you are in a loose game (6-8 players seeing flop) until you are proven otherwise, but I find the opposite to be true. Games that loose are not the norm in my experience.

MicroBob
08-05-2004, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The book says assume that you are in a loose game (6-8 players seeing flop) until you are proven otherwise, but I find the opposite to be true. Games that loose are not the norm in my experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

same here....even the party .5/1 games are usually around 4-5 seeing the flop on the average.
the only games (for the most part) where i see 6-8 regularly seeing the flop are B&M games and micro-limit online games.
maybe pacific and interpoker 1/2 through 3/6 sometimes.

BradleyT
08-05-2004, 12:20 PM
The book isn't solely for internet poker. Even at 10-20 B&M you'll often see 6 way pots.

chson
08-05-2004, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

ATs - No coldcalling with this hand? If you are in a multiway hand in LP with coldcallers in front, you don't coldcall?

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget about the SSH chart.

AKo = Cap
AQo = 3-bet
ATo = Call

Rudbaeck
08-05-2004, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the only games (for the most part) where i see 6-8 regularly seeing the flop are B&M games and micro-limit online games.
maybe pacific and interpoker 1/2 through 3/6 sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

What time of day do you see 6+ seeing the flop on interpoker? I never seem to find more than 4-5.

Mano
08-05-2004, 03:59 PM

I think what Ed gave are general guidelines, and you need to adjust based on game conditions.

For instance, with AQo I think your proper action is highly dependent on who raised. If it is some maniac that has been raising 40% of all flops I would probably re-raise to try and isolate, whereas if it is from someone who has only been seeing 12% of all flops I would would probably fold.

cjromero
08-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Depending on position and your read on the people raising and 3-betting, you can easily make a case for not capping with AKo. Same with folding AQo to a raise, depending on the raiser. The fact that they are offsuit hands makes a clear difference.

As for A-10o, why are you advocating cold calling with that hand? Too easily dominated in my book.

Beavis68
08-05-2004, 05:22 PM
I agree with those guidelines, remember the three criteria, top pair, connectedness, and suitedness - AKos and AQos have good top pair strength, but they are weak as far as connectedness, compared to a hand like JT, because you can only make one straight with them, you cant flop on open-ender to AK or AQ, only the equivalent of a gutshot.

With a bet and a raise in a tight game, the risk of being against AA, KK,QQ or AK especially if it is three bet, is real, so the suitedness gives you some back up. And against any pair, more ways to hit a good flop.

I also agree that it is incorrect to assume the games are loose, I have los a lot of bets that way

Your Mom
08-05-2004, 05:48 PM
ATo is not a very good hand. Limp in MP or LP, fold in EP and fold to any raise. Open raise in MP or LP