PDA

View Full Version : Overcards, should i check the river through?

Nemesis
08-05-2004, 12:58 AM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Super Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Super Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Super Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Super Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Super Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (7 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Super Hero bets</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 8 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7 BB, won by Super Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to Super Hero.</font>

Alobar
08-05-2004, 01:52 AM
I don't think he folds with any piece of the board to a bet here. I think I check (And call a bet) because I think this is one of those situations where he will check behind some hands that beat you, but won't call with a hand you beat. He might also bet some hands that you beat.

The Setup
08-05-2004, 02:38 PM
I would check-call the river and hope to induce a bluff. I would also bet the flop instead of check-raising.

tripdad
08-05-2004, 03:01 PM
i always bet the river there. i think check/calling is frankly terrible. you need to try to get him to lay down a better hand. if he raises, you can lay your Ace high down.

cheers!

naphand
08-06-2004, 04:34 AM
It is Party $1/$2.

Just exactly how are you going to get him to lay down a better hand? W and his friends are not laying down any part of the flop here. If you were against thinking opponents, then you might have a case, but this crew left their brains behind in Texas.

vanHelsing
08-06-2004, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you were against thinking opponents, then you might have a case, but this crew left their brains behind in Texas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! That could even be an argument for a value bet here. I have seen them calling your riverbet w/ hands as bad as 9 high (!).

But with no read I definetly prefer check/call here.

CORed
08-06-2004, 03:30 PM
I think it's pretty close between betting and check-calling the river, but I don't like the flop check-raise at all. You have a better chance to take the pot for much less money by betting. I don't think 1 Party 1/2 player in 100 will lay down on the flop for one more bet after betting. You will have to bet out on the turn to have any chance of taking the pot, making it an expensive 1.5 BB semi-bluff. I think you would have a better (but even more expensive) chance of taking the pot by check-calling the flop and check raising the turn. This is the way most Party 1/2 players would play trips. I don't really reccomend this line with just overcards, though, because it just isn't going to succeed often enough to justify the 2.5 BB investment.

potato
08-06-2004, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i always bet the river there. i think check/calling is frankly terrible. you need to try to get him to lay down a better hand. if he raises, you can lay your Ace high down.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous. The opponent is not folding with any piece of the board here. What they don't need is a chance to bluff-raise you. What they do need is some rope. Check/call.