PDA

View Full Version : A second overpair on an innocent board

Nemesis
08-05-2004, 12:40 AM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Super Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Super Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Super Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Super Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, MP calls, Button calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Super Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP folds, Button folds, Super Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 15.50 BB, between Super Hero and BB.</font>

Matty
08-05-2004, 12:50 AM
Ed Miller be damned, with 4 players seeing the river I'm laying it down.

Nemesis
08-05-2004, 12:52 AM
should i check-call it instead?

Matty
08-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Yeah, I think given your line check-calling the river would be the correct play.

Other than that, I think you did a shoddy job of protecting your hand. Gutshots are a real possibility on the flop. I'd go for a checkraise on the flop or if it's checked through, bet the turn and make them face 8.5-1 odds there.

I assume you lost to a gutshot that you probably could have knocked out.

Nemesis
08-05-2004, 01:10 AM
not exactly a gutshot... a runner runner gutshot. Excellent insight though, thank you.

Ulysses
08-05-2004, 01:45 AM
That board is far from innocent.

Alobar
08-05-2004, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Other than that, I think you did a shoddy job of protecting your hand. Gutshots are a real possibility on the flop. I'd go for a checkraise on the flop or if it's checked through, bet the turn and make them face 8.5-1 odds there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this. For the checkraise to knock anyone out you've got to be sure that the CO or the button will bet. If the bet comes from anywhere else you are just going to build the pot (im not saying this is bad, its just not going to knock anyone out). More than likely tho it just gets checked through, and thats a disaster!

I bet the river and fold to a raise

Nemesis
08-05-2004, 02:04 AM
If attempting a check raise and it comes from the wrong spot then i would probably just call, and then bet into them on the turn.

Matty
08-05-2004, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]More than likely tho it just gets checked through, and thats a disaster!

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think it's unlikely for someone other than the hero to bet this flop.

Also, it's not a disaster for the flop to get checked through. In a large pot (as this is) your goal should be to win the pot- not build the pot.

Guido
08-05-2004, 04:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, it's not a disaster for the flop to get checked through.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes it is a disaster! There are a bazilion flush and straight draws and you don't mind giving a free card?!? /images/graemlins/confused.gif Yes you should try to win the pot but going for check-raise isn't the right way. Who says an LP will bet out or that somebody will bet out at all? You don't have position and there isn't much you can do about that. He protected his hand as well as he could. I would check-call the river.

Guido

chio
08-05-2004, 10:15 AM
check-call river, anyone with a single 6 OR 10 in their hand now has a straight

plus it might go check, bet, raise at which point you can safely fold despite the big pot

tripdad
08-05-2004, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That board is far from innocent.

[/ QUOTE ]

my thoughts precisely. what a misleading title for your post. i feel violated.

the title should have been: "2nd overpair on one hell of a scary board, especially with multiple opponents. did i do good?"

cheers!

Nemesis
08-05-2004, 10:56 PM
i read the board wrong when i posted it, i was putting up about 5 hands at once