PDA

View Full Version : This one gave me trouble. NL hand vs. aggressive player

bunky9590
08-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Full Tilt .25/.50 blinds NLHE
Villain is very aggressive, makes strong bluffs , bluffs too frequently and goes too far with hands. He can pose some problems in the game.

Bunky ($97.50) is in the BB
Villian ($66.40) is in the SB

Bunky is dealt T /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif
Folded to MP who limps, Sb completes, Bunky checkes his option.

Flop ($3.00)
9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Sb checks, Bunky bets 4, MP folds, Sb check raises to $12.00, Bunky calls like a shot.

Turn ($27.00) 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Sb checks, Bunky bets $27.00, Villian thinks and calls.

River ($81.00) A /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Villian pushes for his last $26.40. Your read, your play.

See if you can get inside his mind.

SlyAK
08-04-2004, 11:30 PM
I call.... based on the size of the pot you are pretty committed. He could push with or without the flush, and with or without the ace. I would expect to be behind more often than not, but your getting better than 4:1 on a call. Then again my game isn't as good as it should be lately.

Sly

durron597
08-04-2004, 11:34 PM
I kinda agree with Sly... but my question to you is why didn't you raise preflop? You'd have a much better idea of where you are if you had.

bunky9590
08-04-2004, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but my question to you is why didn't you raise preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I screwed that one up. Chalk it up to three tabling.
My standard line there is to make it 5 to go. I just checked for some unknown reason.

bunky9590
08-04-2004, 11:42 PM
What about the flop and turn?

Yeah he doesnt have a lot of chips left on the river for a big push. I still get around 4:1.

Aside from the PF check, hows the rest?

SlyAK
08-04-2004, 11:48 PM
The rest is fine, the flop is a mandatory call, a re-raise is even possible if he'll call with a 9 or a draw.... the turn bet is good against an aggressive opponent or someone who chases a lot. (I often like to check the turn here against a better opponent). Overall well played. How are you liking full tilt?

Hey, can you comment on my 1500 dollar 2 day poker marathon goal?? You think I can pull it off?

Sly

bunky9590
08-04-2004, 11:51 PM
Catch a nice run of cards (they dont have to be great) and keep your emotions under control.

I would try to do some massive sessions but thats me. bathroom breaks and meals thats it. Nose to the grindstone.

Full Tilt has been good to me. Up 1k in a week and a half.

I'll post resluts in a few minutes, Wanna see some more responses. This was a tough hand.

tubbyspencer
08-04-2004, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'll post resluts in a few minutes, Wanna see some more responses. This was a tough hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there's anything better than sluts, it's gotta be resluts. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SlyAK
08-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Thanks for your reply bunky, always appreciated. (Sorry to hijack your thread).

The emotions have been my issue lately. I thought i was over with the bullshit of jumping up levels when I get pissed, but I do it again this morning. ARGH!!! I havent been playing as much lately as before.... thus only 500/week. I think with a good night's sleep I will be ready to put in some major hours over 2 days. We'll see if I can handle it mentally though, I think too much stress at work is hurting my game too, I am getting back to the point that I hate my job again. (That leads to me trying to play too aggressively at times to earn more money in poker). Should just quit and go pro.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sly

bunky9590
08-04-2004, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If there's anything better than sluts, it's gotta be resluts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now thats 1800gambler's department.

Loved that cheerleader pic.

SlyAK
08-04-2004, 11:59 PM
[/ QUOTE ]

If there's anything better than sluts, it's gotta be resluts. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Loose and very aggressive!!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bunky9590
08-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Results are as follows:

Bunky thinks till the time bar nearly runs out.

I actually typed in "you went that far to catch the Ace?"
His reply "come get some"

I called.

He showed K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif
for the lonely pair of nines.

He either had a hand or a busted draw.
I decide with a hand he would try to sell it. The bet looked like a desperation bluff.

Raiser
08-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Hey bunky,

Nice hand.

I'm curious why you didn't re-raise the flop? I'm sure you can get more out of him later by calling, but there are so many cards that you don't want to see that I think I'd put a really nice sized raise in. Thoughts?

JrJordan
08-05-2004, 12:38 PM
I like the flop call in this case, but only if you're willing to go to the felt with an overpair. The other option would be antoehr reraise and fold if he comes over the top. Personally I think your overpair is good at this point and would likely also call.

Turn: Stop and go seems awfully suspicious. Was he trying to buy the pot with a flush draw? You mentioned him being LAG, but nothing about his starting hand standards. From the SB he could be playing something like A9, and with his LAGgish tendencies thinking he's trapping you on the turn. Perhaps his check is weakness with a paired 8. Either way, the turn pot bet is fine. Still have no idea what his call means.

River: If he was on a flush draw on the flop, he just missed it so could very likely be bluffing with a bust. Is he able to use a scare card to his advantage? I doubt he's made the flush in hearts because even idiot LAGs would fold a gutshot that's missing the nut ace. Worst case, he just hit is 3 outer to get 2 pair on the river with A8 or A9. Best case, he's bluffing a missed flush draw. Either way you're getting around 4:1 to call, so I make the crying call and expect to win half the time against this LAG. I'm curious what the results are for this one.

bunky9590
08-05-2004, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Turn: Stop and go seems awfully suspicious

[/ QUOTE ]

He didnt stop and go. He check called my pot sized bet.

I didnt reraise the flop because I put him on a nine or a flush draw. I wanted to see a non diamond turn before I committed a bunch more $$.

The river I honestly thought it was either A9 or a busted draw. Getting 4:1 I had to call. He didnt have enough chips left after my turn pot sized bet to push me off the hand.

bunky9590
08-05-2004, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious why you didn't re-raise the flop? I'm sure you can get more out of him later by calling, but there are so many cards that you don't want to see that I think I'd put a really nice sized raise in. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of cards i dont want to see and this cat isnt folding all in on a flush draw even if its not to the nuts.

I waited by just calling the flop check raise to see the non diamond turn when I made the pot sized bet on the turn I basically pot committed my self right there. Folding the river really wasnt a very good option. (unless perhaps the diamond fell.)

This guy is not a bad player but get too far out of line for his own good against players that way out gun him in the skill level department. I just have to sit back and wait. He bluffs far more than optimum.