PDA

View Full Version : What's a good NL tournament book?

skierdude1000
08-04-2004, 08:24 PM
I'm a winning single table tournament player (65% ITM) and I wanted to know a good book for multi table tournaments. I have had some success already in large freerolls and small buyins with about 500 people on average (got 1st twice, got 3rd once, got 5th twice, got 7th once)

I was looking for a good no limit tournament book, but all I found was Tj's book (which I heard was bad) and TPFAP (which I heard was even worse)

Are there any other books written on this subject?

Thanks

Stew
08-04-2004, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a winning single table tournament player (65% ITM) and I wanted to know a good book for multi table tournaments. I have had some success already in large freerolls and small buyins with about 500 people on average (got 1st twice, got 3rd once, got 5th twice, got 7th once)

I was looking for a good no limit tournament book, but all I found was Tj's book (which I heard was bad) and TPFAP (which I heard was even worse)

Are there any other books written on this subject?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to know who it was that told you that HPFAP was WORSE than TJ's book. Other than that, do a search, this is discussed ad naseum each and every week and it's getting old.

skierdude1000
08-05-2004, 04:38 PM
I did look at the forum, all i saw mentioned was TJ and TPFAP

SossMan
08-05-2004, 05:46 PM
guess you're going to have to wait for my book to come out.

JohnG
08-05-2004, 06:44 PM
If you already play no limit well, then sklansky's TPFAP is what you need. If you don't play no limit well, then get the 2 ciaffone books in addition to TPFAP.

The 2 Ciaffone books are:

pot and no limit poker
Improve your poker

Or don't bother with any book, and just get lessons off Ciaffone. He'll throw a book in with the lessons.

paland
08-06-2004, 03:07 PM
I've read TPFAP, Supersystem and Phil Helmuth's book. You can get a little bit from each book (Including some bad advice from Phil - like all-in with 77), but I haven't seen a book that is great. In fact, because of the nature in NL Tourneys, I don't think it is possible to write one because it's a style issue and can't be measured in mathematical or logical terms.

SossMan
08-06-2004, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In fact, because of the nature in NL Tourneys, I don't think it is possible to write one because it's a style issue and can't be measured in mathematical or logical terms.

[/ QUOTE ]

everything can be measured in mathematical and logical terms.
It is definitely possible, and this problem will almost definitely be solved when Harrington comes out with his 2+2 books and Greg publishes his NL Tourney essays book.

paland
08-06-2004, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm still not so sure about that. How does mathematics enter the equation when I raise with 2-4o knowing that I can get a specific tight player to fold? NL Tourneys involve psychology more than any other game.

moondogg
08-06-2004, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm still not so sure about that. How does mathematics enter the equation when I raise with 2-4o knowing that I can get a specific tight player to fold? NL Tourneys involve psychology more than any other game.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO, this is what people said about figuring out that your opponent was bluffing, until Sklansky published TOP.

It is also what people said about the various strategies and considerations throughout a tournament, until Sklansky published TPFAP.

Just because something a decision is influenced by psychology or the complexity of the situation doesn't mean it is impossible to describe mathematically or logically. It just means to do so is very difficult without a solid logical and mathematical foundation.

Specifically regarding your 42o question, you would consider the implications of :
- the chips in the pot
- the chips you are going to wager
- how much you expect to win if he folds
- how much you expect to win or lose if he calls
- how often you expect to win if he calls
- how likely he is to call the bet.
- how your chance of placing in any of the given money brackets would be impacted by the possible outcomes of the hand

Of course, in considering how likely he is to call the bet, you would consider:
- how tight he is
- how inclined he is to call raises PF
- how likely he is to call your raises
- etc, etc, etc.

The situation can defintely can be described mathematically. It just not very easy. Obviously, TPFAP covered a lot of this, but mostly focused on limit. IMHO, another book of the same nature geared directly towards NL tournaments would be crucial. Enter Fossilman, stage right (and I'm very relieved that it wasn't Moneymaker).

In addition to the math, they should probably get Feeney and/or Dr. Al to write a book on the psychological factors that influence people act to the way they do in a tournament.

Despite there being some good reading available here and there on the topic, it is pretty much unchartered waters when compared to the rest of the world of poker literature. Hopefully the coming years will change that.