PDA

View Full Version : What do I do on this river?

Sent
08-04-2004, 07:44 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, Button folds, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: (10.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero ???.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

Folding is definately not an option on the river. UTG comes alive when a gutshot falls, so should I raise or just call?

-Sent

btspider
08-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Everyone is passing on this.. I'll take the first stab /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think I'd raise if I could fold to a 3-bet (predictable opponent). If I'd have to call the 3-bet to be sure, then I wouldn't raise. MP2 will likely dump to a 3-bet, so you won't get much overlay here.

I think I like betting out on this river instead. You are likely ahead of MP2 and he may check behind with the scary board. I'd call a single raise.

SoCalPat
08-05-2004, 12:26 AM
Heads up, you bet out and call a raise.

With the presence of a third player in, however, and no position, I would check/call (and I'm guessing that's what you eventually did).

It's highly unlikely that by betting out with your 2 pair that you'll get the aggressor in the hand to fold for one bet (the activity PF suggests he flopped two pair, which you beat, or a small set, which you don't). Also, you could be setting yourself up to be raised, when you could've had a showdown for less.

That's your goal here ... get a showdown cheap. The chances of you being behind are very real, and no play in the world is going to take this pot down if you're beaten. You're overcalling here, not raising.

bwana devil
08-05-2004, 12:47 AM
check raise. ill take my chances that villian isnt playing an 8. no flush here. only plausible hand to beat you is a straight and i don t see villian cold calling 2 bets on the flop w/ 8x.

Sent
08-05-2004, 01:35 AM
River: (10.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

Results below:
Hero shows Ac 9h (two pair, aces and nines).
UTG shows Js Qh (high card, ace).
MP2 shows As 6s (two pair, aces and sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.25 BB.

Wow look at UTG, stone cold bluff on the river. I was up against a made 2 pair though it seems.

-Sent

btspider
08-05-2004, 08:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
check raise. ill take my chances that villian isnt playing an 8. no flush here. only plausible hand to beat you is a straight and i don t see villian cold calling 2 bets on the flop w/ 8x.

[/ QUOTE ]

when you are first to act on the river, your villian is MP2. UTG has done nothing but call. also, UTG didn't cold-call anywhere, so he could have an 8 (8T, 88, 87, 86, 85, 84). I don't see a bet coming on the river from MP2 here. He's going to be scared of that board with his likely one pair of Aces and weak kicker. i think he will call a bet and possibly an UTG raise though.

I like a bet out here so UTG (who likely doesn't have an 8) can continue to call and MP2 can call even if he has you beat (he'd raise A8, but not much else).

chief444
08-05-2004, 08:37 AM
Given your action I think just call the river.

I think you should have 3-bet the flop. If you did you wouldn't have to be quite as worried about someone catching the gutshot on the river.