PDA

View Full Version : A new play for me.

Nate tha' Great
08-04-2004, 07:41 PM
I open-raise from the CO with A /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in a 6-max game. A bad loose aggressive player who perceives me to be aggressive defends in the BB.

The flop comes 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. He checks. I check.

Franchise (TTT)
08-04-2004, 07:43 PM
First time ever?

I find I do enough check/call baiting so that opponents become suspicious of me. I normally take this down on the turn with a bet.

Peter_rus
08-04-2004, 07:47 PM
I think you misclicked or something. I would cap this flop with your given description.

Nate tha' Great
08-04-2004, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First time ever?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's something I've only started to do in the last couple of weeks. Not my standard line, but a change-up that I'll use 5 or 10 percent of the time when I perceive the circumstances to be right.

Franchise (TTT)
08-04-2004, 09:19 PM
The fish, bad as they are, are actually quite keen observers at the Party 10/20 games. Changeups are good.

TazQ
08-05-2004, 03:35 AM
I love doing this if I've been getting good cards lately but missing on the flop. Since I usually bet after a preflop raise I release a fair amount of hands on the flop/turn when I miss. When I've done this a few times and I check the flop, and it gets checked around, a bet on the turn usually picks it up since people assume a slowplay.

kiddo
08-05-2004, 07:28 AM
You would get me, if an aggressive preflopraise bet/raise flop, everything is normal, but if he checks? And then bet turn?

But I think its better to do when board got more high cards, then maybe you can make him fold a pair? Also its better to do if u got no showdown value, like QJs?

What hand will he lay down on a 842r board that you dont want him to chase your AQ with?

Also, I would like to do this against thinking players, not LAGs?

But its a good move that I havent used a lot, will try to think about it in future.

Joe826
08-05-2004, 07:33 AM
I'm not sure who folds a pair heads-up in a steal situation, but i'd like to play with them /images/graemlins/grin.gif. I'd be more inclined to pull this move on a raggy flop just because these are the sort of flops that aggressive players love to play back at you on. If the flop comes with atleast a single high card you'll be given more credit for hitting something than if it's all rags (though maybe not a whole lot given the steal situation).

chio
08-05-2004, 09:11 AM
i like it, especially if you've been bet, bet, betting every flop like that after a preflop raise

tripdad
08-05-2004, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
then maybe you can make him fold a pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

cheers!

Nate tha' Great
08-05-2004, 03:25 PM
I like the play when:

1) I'm perceived to have been stealing a lot, and my opponent knows that I'll always bet the flop when checked to.
2) My opponent will almost never fold on a rag flop.
3) My opponent also makes a lot of loose calls on the turn.
4) My opponent will check-raise with any pair.
5) My opponent will also check-raise with junk.
6) I almost definitely want to see the showdown.

The idea is *not* to get him to fold a better hand, but rather, to lose the least those times that he has flopped something (the flop check effectively eliminates the possibility of both a flop check-raise *and* a turn check-raise), and perhaps induce a bluff or a loose call on the turn/river those times that he hasn't flopped something.

btw, the second consideration is perhaps the most critical; if an opponent is quick to throw his hand away when he misses on the flop, I think it's silly to give him a free card. But if he ALWAYS calls, there's little risk in that.

Peter_rus
08-05-2004, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) I'm perceived to have been stealing a lot, and my opponent knows that I'll always bet the flop when checked to.
2) My opponent will almost never fold on a rag flop.
3) My opponent also makes a lot of loose calls on the turn.
4) My opponent will check-raise with any pair.
5) My opponent will also check-raise with junk.
6) I almost definitely want to see the showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

All these reasons make you to think - you must try to cap flop. Isn't it? Your opponent will not fold any rag it's good. Your opponent would check-raise trash as well as pair - it's 50/50? Why NOT BET?

Nate tha' Great
08-05-2004, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your opponent would check-raise trash as well as pair - it's 50/50? Why NOT BET?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the opponent literally *always* check-raises a rag flop, then, yeah, I'd want to cap, since he'll only have paired up 1/3 of the time.

But if the opponent:

1) Check-raises the flop 100% of the time when he has a pair;
2) Check-raises the flop 25% of the time when he has nothing;

...and he has a pair 1/3 of the time, then he's going to be check-raising with the better hand twice as often as he check-raises with the worse hand, but I still have enough equity in the pot that I'd have to call down. Therefore it may be best to check behind on the flop and avoid the possibility of a check-raise entirely.

Peter_rus
08-05-2004, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) Check-raises the flop 100% of the time when he has a pair;
2) Check-raises the flop 25% of the time when he has nothing;

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with this reads given you would bet as your opponent would never FOLD a trash. Then if he raises you have some options maybe not to cap near 90% of time.