PDA

View Full Version : completing the small blind

Zaebos
08-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Is calling with almost any two cards in the small blind with callers already in a good idea? Or should some bad hands be folded due to thier low chance of winning and the tight image that folding in the small blind can give.

gergery
08-04-2004, 09:06 PM
I'll always call on L1, sometimes on L2, and rarely on L3 (with mostly randow crappy hands). It mainly depends on how much have to call, how big your opponents stacks are, and how likely they are to pay you off when you hit.

You’ll hit two pair or better (which is what you are looking for with, say, 84o) about 1 in 27 hands, and I’d want a good overlay to ensure when I do hit I’m likely to get paid off, so maybe I want 1 to 50 for stack size. So at level one if you need to call T5, your opponents need 250 AND are bad – so call every time.

At L2 when you need to call 15, you want your opponents to have ~750, which they usually will, so probably ok to call if you have something extra like 2 suited cards or non-suited connectors. After that, you are calling T25 and need a payoff around T1250 so its usually not worth it anymore, particularly since the total idiots have usually blown themselves up by now.

--Greg

patrick dicaprio
08-04-2004, 09:09 PM
do you take into account the number of players? for example once it gets past level three i will call or raise with many hands but wont play certain hands depending on the number of players, like 85o vs 85s, or 43s vs 82o etc.

Pat

Jman28
08-05-2004, 12:39 AM
Level one I call any two cards for 5 chips.

After that, I play as if I'm in about middle position. The positive: I pay half price, the negative: I'm out of position on every betting round after that.

This makes it much harder to hit drawing hands as well as extract a lot of money from the others when you hit a monster.

Also, I've seen way to many TPTK v low 2Pr all ins where the TPTK draws out.

Another reason, like you said, is maintaining an image. I play super agressive when short handed, so I like my opponents to write me off as super-tight early. They respect my raises much more I believe, at least until they catch me without a hand.

Can someone tell me if I'm wrong on this? I kind of fell into it on my own, didn't get it from any of the books or posts. Just seems to work for me. Thanks

Hood
08-05-2004, 06:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Level one I call any two cards for 5 chips.

After that, I play as if I'm in about middle position. The positive: I pay half price, the negative: I'm out of position on every betting round after that.

This makes it much harder to hit drawing hands as well as extract a lot of money from the others when you hit a monster.

Also, I've seen way to many TPTK v low 2Pr all ins where the TPTK draws out.

Another reason, like you said, is maintaining an image. I play super agressive when short handed, so I like my opponents to write me off as super-tight early. They respect my raises much more I believe, at least until they catch me without a hand.

Can someone tell me if I'm wrong on this? I kind of fell into it on my own, didn't get it from any of the books or posts. Just seems to work for me. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

In the 10+1 games I play, I totally ignore what players think of me. I've been in SNGs where I literally haven't played a hand up until 10x BB time, and still get called by A5 when I push. Unless you act like a maniac, I think the general low-limit player doesn't consider other people's table image when making decisions.