PDA

View Full Version : trash talk, railbirds, chat, etc.

Zinzan
08-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Played a $30 NL HE tournament on Party. Managed to get to the final three with the chip lead, then we all kinda floundered for about 15 minutes--chips moving around, but no lead change. Then the trash talk starts--the other two start blasting me for playing like an idiot. Really had me questioning my game.

I finished second, losing on a terrible play on my part--even stacks, insignificant blinds, I bet 4XBB on button with 22, then called his all-in raise. I was incited to call by a railbird screaming, "CALL! CALL! CALL!" This railbird was one of the previous players in the tournament, and I guess I wanted to believe they knew his betting tendencies. But looking back, I was either a slight favorite or a big underdog, and I would surely have found a better chance to take his money later.

He had 77, and they held up.

I'm thinking I should turn off chat, as I really let it affect my play in this tournament. But I sometimes pick up useful tells from the chats. What do you guys think/do? Do you find reading the chats useful, distracting, or both? Do any of you turn it off altogether?

Z.

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Zaebos
08-04-2004, 06:50 PM
I wouldnt take anything a railbird says to seriously as they are there for action only. I am sure that guy telling you to call just wanted some action and I doubt he put any thought into what he was saying. It seems like the chat gets to you, so turn it off next time.

Meatmaw
08-04-2004, 06:53 PM
I think the act of consciously doing something as a means to control another seemingly uncontrollable part of you (i.e. ignoring chat because the demon in you will play worse if you read it), is inherently weak and a long-term loss.

Leave the chat on. Don't participate, but don't ignore what might be valuable information either. If a particular competition means terribly much to you, turn it off, but don't abandon it completely. You'll build a stronger game by learning to deal with it in the long run,and you'll have another weapon in your arsenal when you learn to interpret it well. Face your weaknesses and deal with them.

Looking away is just a temporary solution to a bigger problem.

Nottom
08-04-2004, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet 4XBB on button with 22, then called his all-in raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling big raises with small pairs is a big hole in many peoples game. Don't let some railbird convince you to play poorly ... after all there is likely a reason he is on the rail.

Zinzan
08-04-2004, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Calling big raises with small pairs is a big hole in many peoples game. Don't let some railbird convince you to play poorly ... after all there is likely a reason he is on the rail.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, and I never make this call (honest), but I had a silly hope that the railbird knew something. I was goaded into the call by laziness/lack of patience.

I felt a little better last night when I was watching the WSOP HE event on ESPN and saw somebody at the final table call an all-in with a pair of threes. I still think it's a poor call, but at least I knew I wasn't alone. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Of course, he hit his trey for the set and the pot. I can't remember the exact situation, though--perhaps his stack justified the call.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. The more I think about it, the more likely I am to leave chat on. I hope to play live tournaments, and I need to be able to focus on the correct poker decisions, not the surrounding chatter, groans, or whispers.

Z.

durron597
08-04-2004, 07:47 PM
Without question, turn off observer chat. You will get no information from them.

On the other hand, I would leave player chat on for the reasons you describe.

Finally, never call allin with 22. You are either way behind or a coinflip. You are never more than marginally ahead.

dogmeat
08-04-2004, 10:13 PM
You are serious? "Don't ignore what might be valuable information" WTF? Turn off the chat and play your best game at all times, forget about trying to improve "the demon in you". After you have some wins and feel better about your play, then consider turning on the chat (which like this forum, can often be nothing more than mindless drivel).

Way to go on a great tournament - Second place is terrific.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

eastbay
08-04-2004, 10:47 PM
I keep it turned off 95% of the time. I don't use chat as part of getting an edge, so I figure it can only hurt. I know I have been influenced by chat on occasion, and then realized after the fact that I shouldn't have been. So I just prefer to keep it off.

eastbay