PDA

View Full Version : What is a straddle ?

playerfl
08-04-2004, 05:29 PM
i've never played in a B&M with a straddle, so....what is it?

illunious
08-04-2004, 05:35 PM
A blind UTG raise (like an extra blind), optional.

link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/favlinker.php?Cat=&Entry=28405&F_Board=micro&Threa d=838502&partnumber=1&postmarker=)

JSD
08-04-2004, 05:36 PM
It is posting a 2xBB blind when you are UTG. The action then begins with UTG+1, who must call two bets or 3-bet. Its sort of like raising blind when you are UTG, except that your bet is "live". That is, after BB has acted pre-flop, you have the option to check (assuming no raises) or raise out of your straddle.

It is frequently used by action players (and drunken 2+2ers) who like to build big pots at low-limits. For more information on proper technique, see here:

Guide to Straddling (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=micro&Number=838502&Forum= ,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=838 502&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=8161&daterange= 1&newerval=1&newertype=m&olderval=&oldertype=&body prev=#Post838502)

Luv2DriveTT
08-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Its also very annoying when someone does it if you have a speculative hand, and didn't want to put in the extra bets. The person who straddles is essentially raising in the blind. A common cure is to re-raise the straddler from the blinds to steal.

In da club /images/graemlins/club.gif

James Boston
08-04-2004, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is posting a 2xBB blind when you are UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you not straddle in any position? I think I've seen this done.

skaboomizzy
08-04-2004, 06:49 PM
"Guide to straddling" is now my favorite thread ever on these forums.

Friendly reminder that I'll be staying at Imperial Palace (home of 2/4, 3/6 and 4/8 tables) Aug 10-15.

JSD
08-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Its also very annoying when someone does it if you have a speculative hand, and didn't want to put in the extra bets.

Proving once again that he is indeed a Noted Poker Authority, Ed Miller presented the perfect solution to this problem in a reply to my guide:

[ QUOTE ]

If you have a piece of jank, CALL DO NOT RAISE, and then say "Ok, I just call, everybody gambol!" If someone then folds behind you, repremand him thusly:

"I have big slick no raise! I just call everyone play! I make cheap for you!"

[/ QUOTE ]

SossMan
08-04-2004, 07:30 PM
I just read the other thread...i almost pissed myself laughing at the "17 of purple horseshoes" on the river...nice.

Reminds me of the Bay Area 2+2 home game back in March when we were playing with a deck that had "apples" instead of hearts. The "2nd nut apple flush draw" was announced quite a few times that night.
The proper yell request to the dealer when drawing to an apple flush would be "CMON DEALER, MAKE IT FRUITY!!"

Toro
08-04-2004, 07:56 PM
A straddle is basically a very stupid play(for obvious reasons) which has been very profitable for me through the years!

regisd
08-05-2004, 10:24 AM
a straddle is a *great* way to start off one of those games where you don't actually look at your hole cards until you get to the river. maybe the turn if you're a bit too sober.