PDA

View Full Version : how long can one go without hitting a flush?

golgo13sf
08-04-2004, 05:16 PM
especially with having a flop with 2 of the right suit?

The odds say your flush will come in ~35% of the time with 4 to a flush on the flop. Well, I'm going on hour 16 of two days worth of playing, and I haven't hit a flush yet (verified by database). I've hit quads twice, several full houses, a few straights, but none of my flush draws come in. Its to the point that I flop 4 to the flush and can be heard laughing maniacally because I know it won't come. I still play it strong to build the pot *yay, there's another hand it happened on* but its just giving money away.

just curious, because I seem to be bucking the odds quite a bit here.

playerfl
08-04-2004, 05:21 PM
well, congratulations for beating the odds! many are called, but few are chosen.

aloiz
08-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Anything's possible as long as you don't play infinity hands, and if you do figure out a way to do that let me know, I'd like to cut down on my variance. Seriously though I don't think you should focus on "streaks" like these, as it can detract from your focus on the game, or cause you to make incorrect plays.

aloiz

golgo13sf
08-04-2004, 08:10 PM
21 hours and no flush, I'm not beating the odds, I'm blowing them out of the water. I'd be up 300+ if even 1/2 of these flushes came in, I'm busy building pots for everyone else.

Kevin J
08-05-2004, 01:24 AM
Theoretically, you could go the rest of your life without ever completing another flush draw, but I'll bet you aready knew this.

Cerril
08-05-2004, 03:26 AM
I got to experience maybe ten or fifteen like this in a session. It's not your bad odds, though I've had days that felt like that (I can honestly say I've never played a session longer than about 12 hours). The odds might not be quite what you think they are though, Often there aren't 9 outs, there are substantially fewer since one or more of the people there drawing with you are going for the same flush. Of course, often there is only a bare ace or king hoping for the backdoor or nothing at all, but just as your odds are decent the turn or river is a card of that suit, the odds are overwhelming one or more of the players still in a multi-way pot is holding at least one.

Of course, that only changes your effective odds when you can put them on the suited card(s), but that happens a fair amount of the time.

But yeah, low odds. Very, very low

MarkD
08-05-2004, 11:48 AM
missed 4 flush by the river:
10 in a row = 72.9-1
50 in a row = 2.2(10^9)-1

so if you've missed 50 flush draws in a row that is about 2.2billion to 1 against occuring.

Leo Bello
08-05-2004, 04:56 PM
About odds, took me 50K hands to hit a str8 flush, than in two days I made 3, in a interval of 10 hours of playing (less than 2K hands). Now, I will stay 150K hands without another one, to compensate the 3 I made in a row?

Just a point to show it doesn´t need to have a logic. It will happen. If it has not happened yet.

Take care.

golgo13sf
08-06-2004, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
About odds, took me 50K hands to hit a str8 flush, than in two days I made 3, in a interval of 10 hours of playing (less than 2K hands). Now, I will stay 150K hands without another one, to compensate the 3 I made in a row?

Just a point to show it doesn´t need to have a logic. It will happen. If it has not happened yet.

its funny you say that, in a two day span, I got 2 straight flushes (same except for suit, and came out the exact same way), my first Royal Flush and quad Kings 4 times.

I proclaim I have used up all my luck for the next twenty years.

Take care.

[/ QUOTE ]

scalf
08-06-2004, 03:13 PM
/images/graemlins/confused.gif you will hit your flush exactly the same time someone double ketches to make a full house..

gl

/images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SossMan
08-06-2004, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Take care.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly....lets say you threw 100 quarters in the air and they all landed in a row...wouldn't it be weird if it went heads, tails, heads, tails, heads, tails........

kpux
08-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Just play an infinite number of hands. Jesus, some people just don't want to put in the effort.