PDA

View Full Version : 10-20 at Mohegan Sun

05-07-2002, 07:19 PM
It's 10-20 at Mohegan. I'm in early position and get AK off. I raise. A loose / aggresive player calls, and a solid player calls.

Flop comes: Q83 rainbow

I check. Loose person bets, solid player folds, I raise. Loose player calls. (If I was going up against a Queen, I would have expected to be raised)

Next card is a 5.

I chech raise again. River is a 10. I bet, loose player calls. Loose player has 87 off. Takes down the pot.

Where did I go wrong? Any comments welcome.

05-07-2002, 07:47 PM
you persisted in trying to bluff a loose player

05-07-2002, 07:51 PM

05-07-2002, 08:04 PM
on the flop.....you didn't have anything.....

trust me the way I learned....you can't bluff the loose goose, he will call you down with ANYTHING.........you didn't make anything......everyone overrates this AK, what the hell is AK, it's NOTHING.........

Well yes, now it becomes something if the FLOP hits you....I repeat if the FLOP HITS YOU...but if it doesn't you have nothing, you have the NUT no pair.......I don't press this hand, unless I flop either the A or K....or probably a nut flush draw if the AK is suited.....

05-07-2002, 08:30 PM
For one thing, you wasted alot of chips on a calling station. There was a post a while back that repeated itself over and over. It said:

"AK is not a pair, AK is not a pair...".

I think you get the point. After the first check raise, you need to check-fold on the turn.

M is correct in that your opponent had something.

05-07-2002, 08:48 PM
tww,

The problem is you show strength before the flop and on the flop but chose to go for the fancy checkraise in subsequent betting rounds rather than lead bet. By doing so you make the pot bigger and you let your loose opponent get pot stuck and hang in. Then you bet the river with no pair when by this time you know he calls any pair but may not bet any pair. Your loss on this pot is $100 and it was inevitable as long as this type of opponent held a pair.

But I would have lost this pot too. Let’s see how.

One way I would lose is betting the flop, probably getting called by loose player (I assume solid player still folds), betting the turn, getting called, and checking the river and usually calling a river bet when he bets which should be about half the time. My loss is a little less than $60 or so on the average.

A slight variation of the above way to lose is betting the flop, getting called by loose player, betting the turn, getting called, and betting the river (which he will always call). My loss will be $60.

Another way I would lose is to bet the flop, get raised, and fold to the raise. My loss is $30 or so this way. Of course I wouldn’t chose this losing option too often, as I would eventually get run over by observant opponents.

Still another way I would lose is to bet the flop, get raised, call the raise, bet the turn, probably get called, and check the river and call his bet (which should occur about half the time or so). My loss is about $70 using this line of play.

An alternative to the losing method above is to bet the flop, get raised, call the raise, bet the turn, occasionally get raised, and fold. My loss is $60 or so this way.

My last losing option is to bet the flop, get called, bet the turn, get called, check the river, and call his probable bet (which he will make about 70% of the time). My average loss using this method is $64 or so.

So as you can see I have at least four or five ways of losing, but none of them lose as much money as your way /images/tongue.gif

Regards,

Rick

05-08-2002, 12:12 PM
You cannot bluff a calling station

Make a hand and he/she will always pay you off

They are there to give good players a chance to make cash

05-09-2002, 12:26 PM
Maybe the guy has a dead read on you and knows that you are bluffing. Some lose callers can be good readers. They get to play a lot of hands and sometimes they learn something. Maybe he knows that you were pushing nothing and let you bluff your money off. As previously posted AK is a vastly overplayed hand, especially at 10 - 20.

Tom B.