PDA

View Full Version : Defend with A5 in the BB?

pokerhooker
08-04-2004, 04:51 PM
100/200 blinds, I'm in the BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif5/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP open raises for 400 (2xBB), folded to me in the BB, i have 3700 and he has me covered with ~4500. At this point, the pot is definitely laying me odds to call (damn mini raisers), but the problem is if I flop my A, if I am in fact dominated by a better A, I'm now out of position and ready to take a huge fall. Would you guys defend in this spot?

True to form, the flop came A/images/graemlins/spade.gifT/images/graemlins/heart.gif4/images/graemlins/club.gif. Now what is your play? I led out and bet half the pot, planning to fold to a substantial re-raise.

He just called, which made me skeptical he had an A, and now I'm hating my smallish bet on the flop. Turn is ( A/images/graemlins/spade.gifT/images/graemlins/heart.gif4/images/graemlins/club.gif)Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, a card which as soon as it hit I knew I didnt like, but with his weak call on the flop and my increased outs for a flush draw, I decided to push my remaining 3000 into a pot of 2000. What's your take on this?

Of course, he calls and shows KJ for the gutshot straight /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tripdad
08-04-2004, 05:11 PM
defending is automatic here. your weak flop bet is where you goofed. let him know you have an Ace with a substantial bet. if he comes over the top, you are likely beaten and can fold.

as for the turn...yikes! but you probably wouldn't have faced this decision at all with a better play on the flop.

cheers!

adios
08-04-2004, 05:15 PM
FWIW you should have checked on the turn. Your opponent isn't going to call if you have him beat. If you check and give a free card, you have the best draw going and any other draw your opponent has is thin. If you check and your opponent sets you all in, you have a decision to make but you're not worse off than pushing in yourself on the turn. Your opponent may even bet small if he has you beat giving you an opportunity to snag a river card.

pokerhooker
08-04-2004, 05:28 PM
In hindsight, I like a check on the turn, also. But what went through my mind was I would probably give up the hand on the turn if he sent me all in. If he made a lesser bet, calling would still commit me to the pot, so I figured I might as well put the chips in first and possibly get him to lay down A-better kicker.