PDA

View Full Version : PS SNG Pool of Players

Big TR
08-04-2004, 04:18 PM
I purchased Pokertracker and have imported my HH for my first 27 SNG's at 5+.5. (Running too well, at 41% ITM 36% ROI) I've noticed that out of a pool of 216 potential opponents, I have played 213 different people. I have two questions.

1. Based on your PT database, what do you see as the pool of players at each level? I would have thought I would have played more that 3 people twice, but no.

2. What do you consider a large enough sample size (either tournaments or hands) to get a solid read on a player? I know that most of the 5+.5 players are pretty fishy and one tourney can label them as such. I'm just looking for some general feeback.

Big TR
08-05-2004, 01:50 PM

Desdia72
08-05-2004, 02:18 PM
one thing about the $5 + $.50s on Stars is you'll be hard pressed to run across the same players alot. the $5s get the most action with thousands of players so if you're using PT as a way to take notes on certain players, it's gonna be rough going. even if you happen to run into a certain player again later, his game may have changed dramactically from the last time you played him. i can count on one hand how many times i've played multiple players at the $5 level more than once. IMO, notes on a player is more valuable the higher you move up in limits. for example, the $200 + $15 SNG player pool is small, but the players are tough. playing against them on a regular basis would yield better notes than playing a year at $5 + $.50.

hummusx
08-05-2004, 02:23 PM
I've noticed the same thing on Party. I've got about 55 SNGs logged at $10+1 and I think there's only 2 people I've played with more than once. I guess I'm primarily just building a picture of my own play right now. If/when I move up I'll be able to use it for tracking other people.

Having said that, I have found that sometimes I can actually use the data from a tournament while it's still running. If you import the hand history after 20-30 hands, I'll occastionally find that someone I thought was playing almost every hand wasn't actually playing as many as it seemed, or one particular person is in lots of hands but has NEVER raised PF. This has allowed me to adjust my strategy slightly in case that person all of a sudden comes in for a raise.

WC64
08-05-2004, 03:22 PM
I have seen a decent amount (not a whole lot but based on your sample more) of the same people playing the $5 SNG's at PS. Maybe I just remember it more when I play someone more than once. I plan on moving up levels pretty soon after I finish my current goal of 100 more SNG's at this level. I think it is pretty certain I will move up though, but I will post my results later.