PDA

View Full Version : Are you apathetic about steroid use in sports?

Toro
08-04-2004, 03:48 PM
There appears to be a general apathy from the average fan towards steroid use in sports. My own feelings are very inconsistent. I'm strongly against their use in Baseball and most Olympic events but couldn't care less if every player in the NFL were using.

I suppose this is because I like baseball in part because it is a stat sport, so when Barry Bonds demolishes the homerun record and it's widely suspected that he was on the juice, to me it becomes totally meaningless.

pudley4
08-04-2004, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you apathetic about steroid use in sports?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure...

TheRake
08-04-2004, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I suppose this is because I like baseball in part because it is a stat sport, so when Barry Bonds demolishes the homerun record and it's widely suspected that he was on the juice, to me it becomes totally meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every sport is a "stat sport". It is just that in team sports the only way to measure individual success at different positions is to keep statistics in several areas of expertise.

As long as statistics are tied to contract negotiations, shoe deals, fame and fortune (which it will be forever) there will always be performance enhancing drugs used.

As for your original question, I am apathetic about steriod use. I watch because it is entertaining. I am sure there are athletes finding dozens of ways of not getting caught. I know it happens and I really don't care one way or another as long as I am entertained.

TheRake

Usul
08-06-2004, 03:59 AM
From an athelete's prespective I think it's bullcrap that I have to jump through hoops (i.e. get piss tested, which isn't fun at all, and fill out forms declaring medication for athsma) because some people don't have the balls to play the game straight up. I think anyone who uses performance enhancing drugs should be drawn and quartered. So the answer is no, I guess I'm not apathetic.

Toro
08-06-2004, 07:29 AM
What sport do you play that subjects you to testing?

Usul
08-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Football and Wrestling, although I've only ever been tested for wrestling. The testing process takes about two hours depending on how many people are being tested. It's always after a game or meet too, while all your teammates are celebrating. The specifics of the process aren't very pretty either.