PDA

View Full Version : Good laydown or just scared play?

Insanity
08-04-2004, 03:42 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 max, 5 handed)

SB ($7.05)
BB ($11.90)
UTG ($10)
MP ($25)
Hero ($37.46)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG posts a blind of $0.50. MP posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG (poster) checks, MP (poster) checks, Hero calls $0.50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.50) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets $6</font>, Hero folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: $8.50

Do top pair get laid down here? This was the first hand by MP so I had no reads. Seemed a bit loose aggressive after this hand?

unagi
08-04-2004, 03:45 PM
if this was your first hand, i would say it is a good laydown. if you play 10 more hands and he does this every hand, then maybe you'll have to loosen up your standards. but, without knowing how this player plays, there's no point in getting tied up with this mediocre hand - especially given the pot size before he bet.

EvanJC
08-04-2004, 03:45 PM
the lack of a raise preflop makes it possible for MP to have just about anything. you very well could have the best hand, but i don't think its worth fighting over a small pot here. take your read of this guy and make him pay later on.

Fnord
08-04-2004, 03:46 PM
2 posters, anyone raise this pre-flop?

He posted. I'm all-in.

If he's got the goods, so be it.

SpiderMnkE
08-04-2004, 03:53 PM
"2 posters, anyone raise this pre-flop?

He posted. I'm all-in.

If he's got the goods, so be it."

So... we should raise QJo preflop.. then push on a J hi flop when we are bet into. Nice.... nice

JrJordan
08-04-2004, 03:57 PM
If you're not going to go after this pot when you get nearly the best flop you can ask for, why would you play in the first place? Personally, I'm not a big fan of QJo, but I guess it's okay on the button. The point being, if you will fold this when you get a great flop, this guy will run over you. You have a pretty darn short stack (another issue altogether), so I'd probably reraise all in with my $11.

Edit: I just realized I looked at the wrong stack. I take back the all in. I would however, throw in a minreraise and see how he reacts. If he reraises then I can easily fold. If he calls, then I'd be willing to bet hard again if another rag hits.

Insanity
08-04-2004, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2 posters, anyone raise this pre-flop?

He posted. I'm all-in.

If he's got the goods, so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little confused why you push so much. I was thinking about maybe a min raise or fold. Why push so hard? I just don't see the logic behind putting so much money int he pot with just a pair and a small pot.

SpiderMnkE
08-04-2004, 04:05 PM
It's because the guy posted... duh

Insanity
08-04-2004, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're not going to go after this pot when you get nearly the best flop you can ask for, why would you play in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, I don't lay this hand down too often when I get at this point, but with no reads and a player that could be playing ANYTHING, which happens a lot on $25NL party.

[/ QUOTE ]I take back the all in. I would however, throw in a minreraise and see how he reacts. If he reraises then I can easily fold. If he calls, then I'd be willing to bet hard again if another rag hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was what I was thinking but wasn't sure if that was the right play. If he sticks with you after two rounds of betting big, do you put him on two pair, flush draw, ??? or am I missing something.

Fnord
08-04-2004, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So... we should raise QJo preflop..

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird situation. 5 handed, everyone else is a blind. The two in front have not shown any aggression. Your hand is boarder-line playable and you have the button. Make it $2-3 and hope to take it down right there. Fold to a re-raise.

[ QUOTE ]

then push on a J hi flop when we are bet into. Nice.... nice

[/ QUOTE ]

Beats min-raising for half his stack, then finding some excuse to fold later in the hand. He fold, calls with a worse hand or gets outdrawn often enough. Then again, if I'm playing here, I'm raising pre-flop...

08-05-2004, 06:44 PM
I make a lot of money off of players like fnord...Raise PF is a bad idea with that many limpers and a marginal hand, high pair good kicker isn't worth an all in in a multiway pot. One of the other players could easily have been slow playing a monster. Also, raiser could be betting his flush draw hard hoping to take it down, but you only have a marginal hand back to fight back with. Fold and move on.

JrJordan
08-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Are you really suggesting to raise QJo preflop with 5 people in?