PDA

View Full Version : Micro-Limit NL Questions

aLittleFish
08-04-2004, 01:21 PM
I'm new to both 2+2 and internet poker and am looking for help. I recently started playing for real money on PokerStars where I deposited $50. With such a small bankroll I didn't feel like I would be able to handle any bad run of cards at the .10 / .25 NL game, so I've been playing the .01 / .02 NL tables. While I know this post is probably way below the level of most 2+2ers, I was hoping someone would like to share some wisdom with me. Mainly, what kind of hourly win rate is considered doing very well at such a small blind table and about when will I build a bankroll high enough to move onto the .10/.25 NL tables without fear of going broke on a bad run of cards?

durron597
08-04-2004, 06:39 PM
While I don't have an answer for you as far as a good winrate is concerned, I have dropped $50 in two orbits playing $.10/$.25/$25 max. One awful flop, one awful suckout was all it took. Fortunately my BR was able to handle that, and I got back to my winning ways, but I strongly recommend against moving up to NL25 without at least $150 (preferably more).

aLittleFish
08-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Thanks for your help, I'm up about $35 in 4 days so I'm hoping I'll be able to build a strong enough bankroll for the next game in not too long. Then perhaps I could make a post worthy of more responses. For now, I'll just wonder whether it was the inclusion of Micro-Limit in the title that scared people off, or the lack of Shana Hiatt in the title.

Wayfare
08-05-2004, 10:39 AM
Well if you are new to hold-em then the smallest blind game is best for you. However, if you know what you are doing then there is little reason not to buy in for $250 or so to play a real stakes game and make money that's worth your time. As Sklansky points out in one of his books (forget which one), very small changes in initial winrate (related to stakes) allows for much greater growth over the long term due to faster moving-up in stakes.

Good luck over there no matter where you play though.

aLittleFish
08-10-2004, 11:21 AM
I'm sorry this response is so late. I've been away from the computer a lot lately. I did want to thank you for your post as well as clarify a few issues. First, I've been playing hold'em for less than a year (any poker for that matter) and don't have a whole lot of experience. This makes playing in higher stake games seem a little precarious and even more so when considering that $250 is a lot of money to a poor college student. I would lose quite a bit of sleep over losing that much money at poker. I do intend to play in higher games, but I'd be much more comfortable if I was freerolling with profit at that level. My hope is that the skill level required to beat the .10/.25 games is no more than needed to beat a .01/.02, just played for more money. Unfortunately, I won't find out till I get there.

Rah
08-10-2004, 12:05 PM
You should never play with money you're afraid of losing. Grind your way up to 1k in bankroll with tight play and bonuswhoring, and eventually you'll be ready for higher stakes. I felt the same way as you when I started, now I can drop $200 on a bad day without too much of a headache. Just keep grinding your confidence and poker experience and the rest will work out just fine.

aLittleFish
08-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Can you elaborate on what you mean by bonus whoring. I'm assuming it has to do with the 25% bonus things I see flashing in the corners of websites for like Pacific Poker. I play on PokerStars. Does that site offer any bonuses? I haven't seen any.

excession
08-10-2004, 03:22 PM
check out the info on my newbie website -it's even spam-free

http://www.andymcnish.btinternet.co.uk/pokerguide/index.htm