PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this poorly? Too aggressive?

richardn
08-04-2004, 12:13 PM
Prima network (Aztec) $1SB $2BB

Hero ($50) (BB)
Villian ($63) (UTG+1)

Hero is on the BB with T /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and 3 callers limp in.

flop comes T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero bets $6, Villian calls, everyone else folds.

Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero bets $10, villian calls.

River: Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero bets $20, Villian raises to all in, Hero calls.

Results:

Hero shows 2 pair, Tens over 3's
Villian shows 3 of Kind, Q's

Villian wins pot ~$110.

Was my betting too aggressive? I put him on AT, KT, QT, maybe A5 after the first call, but after the $10 on the turn I figured he had to have at least a T. Never did I think he had a pocket overpair that he didn't raise preflop (or reraise with post flop). When he reraised I assumed he had QT. Anyway, all criticisms are welcome...did I play this wrong or just get outdrawn?

Ghazban
08-04-2004, 12:22 PM
You played it fine. He played it horribly and got lucky on the end. My guess is he was assuming you just had top pair and didn't raise because he wanted you to keep betting it for him. You probably would've gotten his whole stack if the river hadn't helped him.

ullu
08-04-2004, 12:27 PM
Not aggressive enough in my opinion. On the flop, I would have overbet the pot, representing trips but still being in a strong position with two pair, trying to get rid of the possible 4-6 for the open ender. He probably would have still called you in any case with his overpair but the overbet can only put doubt in his mind about you hitting a set etc., that is if he's a good player. If you bet the pot and he only has AT or KT as you suggest, you giving him a chance to hit his kicker or let another 5 pair the board so his better kicker would again come into play.

I think he probably would have called even if you had gone all-in on the flop but super aggressive strategy is the only way to go in this situation as far as I'm concerned.

richardn
08-04-2004, 01:52 PM
knowing the outcome I think Super aggressive was the only chance i had of winning this hand, however if I was him I think I would have called any bet, too...putting my opponent on AT/KT type hand...where he's ahead. It was really a perfect flop for him.

JrJordan
08-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Eh, your bets on the flop and turn seem a little weak. With 3 callers, I'd probably make a pot bet on the flop ($8) instead of 3/4, no big deal. The turn, however, is a bigger deal. Your hand is very vulnerable, and you'd probably be happy to take this pot down right now. I'd make the bet closer to $16-17. The villain hit is 2 outer on the river while you're pot committed, not much you can do about it. I imagine you'd lose your stack either way in this. Still, I'd rather get my money in with the best of it by betting harder on the flop and turn.

JrJordan
08-04-2004, 02:06 PM
A hint for future posts, don't post the results at the end of a hand history, it skews the responses. Numero uno rule on this board is to no be results oriented... well that and no spam. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

richardn
08-04-2004, 03:43 PM
I did want to take this down on the turn in the event that he had AT or KT and hit his A or K on the river. He hesitated before calling the $10 bet, so maybe a larger bet would have pushed him out.

What about the river bet? Anything wrong there? When he raises I assumed I was beat but it was $12 into a $100 pot, I figure I was pretty much pot committed at that point.