PDA

View Full Version : Too Cute?

kevyk
08-04-2004, 12:00 PM
This hand came up in a $100 SnG on Party:

It is level 2 (15/30). Hero has t1045. Villain has t820.
Dealt to Hero in BB with [ 9d, 9s ]
Gets folded around to Villain in MP. Villian raises to t90.
LP calls 90.
Hero calls 60.

Flop comes: [ Ad, 9c, 7s ]

Hero checks.
Villain bets (60)
LP calls (60)
Hero raises (180) to 180
Villain calls (120)
LP folds.

Turn Comes: [ Ac ]
Hero bets (100)
Villain calls (100)

River Comes : [ 8c ]

Hero bets (300)
Villain raises to (450) (all-in)
Hero calls (150)

Hero Shows [ 9d 9s ] [ a full house, Nines full of aces -- Ad,Ac,9d,9s,9c ]

Villain Shows [ 8h As ] [ a full house, Aces full of eights -- As,Ad,Ac,8h,8c ]

Ok, did I get too cute here? My initial idea was to reraise enough on the flop to pot-commit my opponent, who I put on an ace. When I saw the turn, I decided to lead into him, hoping that he would raise with his trips. The bet on the river was just designed to put him to a decision with what I read to be a weak Ace.

Should I have perhaps slowplayed on the flop? Bet bigger on the turn?

Cleveland Guy
08-04-2004, 12:09 PM
On the turn- I doubt he's going anywhere with trip Aces, and your not with a made full house.

He hit a lucky card on the river. I don't think a bigger bet on the turn, or smaller bet on the flop would have made much difference here.

EverettKings
08-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Your loss wasn't due to excessive "cuteness" as that Ace wasn't going anywhere, and you have such a monster that you shouldn't worry about being sucked out. I'd get more $$ in on the turn though: I'd bet 250+ into the ~750 pot. You're really only getting more money out of him if he has the ace, so you might as well get it in.

kurtcobain
08-04-2004, 01:16 PM
There's no way you're getting away from this hand, but your cuteness may have cost you money if villain hadn't filled up. When I flop a set into a preflop raiser and there's an ace on board, I like to lead into him on the flop, have him raise me, and take it from there. Also, when you've got a boat against trips on the turn, you want to get all your money in then and there, so that you can't get bluffed on the river if, say, a king falls and you're worried about aces full of kings.