PDA

View Full Version : TT UTG in average 10-20, comments appreciated

05-06-2002, 11:13 PM
10-20 with a half-kill, $4 rake (private club). 8 players currently seated at the table, 1 man walking, my first time playing this room ever. I came for the 5-10 which had just broken, so sat down at the 10-20 and bought $400 in red with $200 more I was willing to throw at the game.

Have been there 1/2 hour, 2-4 people seeing the flop seems average, usually 2 or 3. Often a raise preflop. Couple pots won without a flop and game is moving rather swiftly. Tried to start a few conversations to loosen table up a tad, no nibbles at all - a very focused table. Guy across table from me is a well-known legend who won the WSOP limit HE event in 199X (year omitted to protect the innocent ). Guy to my left is short-stacked, maybe $60 in front of him and a little red in the face.

In short, the table seems solid from what little I know. Dealt mostly trash hands so far, except for AKo I reraised preflop UTG and mucked into 3 players with a QJx flop against a raised pot. I might have also won a pot uncontested before getting my TT but I assume if anyone was paying attention they would have surmised I was at least no slouch, and possibly someone to be respected.

Anyhow, on to the hand:

TT UTG, kill is off and in front of the button. I open for a raise, mucked to the button who calls (button is not the WSOP guy), blinds muck. Heads up.

Flop: J-7-X rainbow, I bet and am raised. I smoothcall (after spending a milisecond considering a reraise) ... comments?

Turn: a blank (sorry, my memory is not the best but am trying to work on it.) I note that there is no draw other than a possible runner-runner, and I somehow assume he is not the type to have 98 ot T9 given that he reraised me preflop. Whole thought process took me possibly a second and a half, and I wave my hand to check. He bets, I call. (If I'm behind I'm way in back and only a ten will save the day, not a good return on my money but somehow I think he's playing overcards. A silly intuition at best.) ... Comments?

River: another blank (again, sorry but my memory is for crap.) I check, he bets and I call for time. (Mistake to call for time? I actually considered a raise prior to calling for time, but decided that would be a poor move after calling for time. Comments?) I glance over and he vaguely, just somewhat, seems to be avoiding my eyes. Not really, but I didn't get any sort of feeling that he was strong. Again, a silly intuition at best because I'm rather green at reading the man. I tell him "I should fold but I'm gonna pay you off and see," and I wing out 4 reds.

OK folks, fire away and thanks in advance for your consideration. (FWIW, I'm newbie to 10-20 but currently a winning LL player at about 200 hours since I started keeping track, running .9BB/hr playing mostly 4-8 against a $4 + 1 jackpot rake.)

05-06-2002, 11:18 PM
I won, didn't even have to show.

The second I tossed my $20 in he muttered "you win," and mucked. I paused for a moment to remember if the rules forced me to show to take it down, but the dealer was already pushing the loot my way. I didn't show, no one commented.

05-06-2002, 11:51 PM
A Holdem sage once gave me this advice: If you're going to call the turn then you must call the river. Of course this doesn't hold true if you're on a drawing hand. But you're not, correct?

~stephen

05-07-2002, 12:07 AM
If I was behind, say to JX, then I am in fact on a draw. However, I felt he was playing overcards and hence went into check-call mode.

With $121 in the pot at the river, seems to me as if a call was correct as my TT would probably be good better than 1 in 6 times. I think... /images/wink.gif

If anything I feel worst about my call on the turn.

05-07-2002, 12:19 AM
If you think you're in the lead then a check raise would suffice on the turn or even betting out. Grasshoppa, don't be muddled about the decision to call your opponent down. Hence it causes a pit in your stomach when you release the chips. Once you make the cognizant decision TO call the turn, you MUST call the river. Or else fold the turn and get on with the next hand. Save you bets for a better spot, like when you have the nuts.

Now, grasshoppa, snatch some more reds from the game.

05-07-2002, 12:51 AM
The way I look at, he probably called with AQ...or two over cards like KQ or a high Ace anyhow, when you bet out and were raised, sometimes I would consider mucking.....there is a Jack out there, and you may pay him off.....it turned out to be a good move,.....and I just leared also that you don't have to show, even if the guy tells you "nice hand", the reason why he raised you i think is because I think he put you on AK so he tried to make you muck, but it's a good thing you didn't have to show your hand, because if you did that would be a big read especially to the people who are watching your every move, but your very best move was to reraise his raise on the flop, because if came over the top again, that would probably mean that you are beat.....and it's a hell of lot better than check calling $20 on the turn....

if you liked your hand, by staying in, maybe another reraise on the flop should have been your play, then he definitlely would have taken you off AK, he'd put you on a higher pair than 10's....so next time you decide to play this hand, the way that I would play it, would be

BET, if raised, either fold or Reraise, Don't Call....Call shows too much weakness....