PDA

View Full Version : OT - Windows rant

pudley4
08-04-2004, 10:56 AM
Let us rearrange the order of our applications on the taskbar!

/images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

(Yes I know about free 3rd party software that will let me do this; however, it's not tested/supported in my work environment, and I support a bunch of whiny babies who complain when their taskbar buttons aren't in the same place as they're used to)

moondogg
08-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Are you ranting about windows or the whiney babies?

scotnt73
08-04-2004, 11:46 AM
let me guess. you also have less than 5 items on your desktop and you keep you email just about completely empty. am i close? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

pudley4
08-04-2004, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
let me guess. you also have less than 5 items on your desktop

[/ QUOTE ]

Close.

[ QUOTE ]
and you keep you email just about completely empty. am i close? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

1127 items in my inbox.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alobar
08-04-2004, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
let me guess. you also have less than 5 items on your desktop and you keep you email just about completely empty. am i close? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

you say that like its a bad thing :/ heh

scotnt73
08-04-2004, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
let me guess. you also have less than 5 items on your desktop

[/ QUOTE ]

Close.

[ QUOTE ]
and you keep you email just about completely empty. am i close? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

1127 items in my inbox.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

my bad you were talking about your users complaining not yourself. id be happy if microsoft would just fix the .pst problem. my users arent allowed to keep them on the network and when thier hd crashes they lose it all. this is a problem because they only get a limited mailbox size. but thats microsoft for ya.

moondogg
08-04-2004, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my bad you were talking about your users complaining not yourself. id be happy if microsoft would just fix the .pst problem. my users arent allowed to keep them on the network and when thier hd crashes they lose it all. this is a problem because they only get a limited mailbox size. but thats microsoft for ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that have to do with Microsoft? What .pst problem?

1. Increase the maximum mailbox size. This is set by the system administrator, not Microsoft.
2. Backup their HDs
3. Allow them to save to a network drive. You must talking about a company policy, because Outlook certainly allows it. Hell, I'm doing it right now.

If they aren't allowed them to save the information to a place that will be backed up, you're company is just f'ing itself.

scotnt73
08-04-2004, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that have to do with Microsoft? What .pst problem?

1. Increase the maximum mailbox size. This is set by the system administrator, not Microsoft.
2. Backup their HDs
3. Allow them to save to a network drive. You must talking about a company policy, because Outlook certainly allows it. Hell, I'm doing it right now.

If they aren't allowed them to save the information to a place that will be backed up, you're company is just f'ing itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

you exactly right of course. i didnt even mention my microsoft problem just my companies-sorry. the pst problem is that when it hits 2 gigs it starts blowing up and you have to repair it. if you burn a pst you have to copy the whole giant thing back to the hd to read it. add that to the problems my company inflicts upon itself with these stupid policies and you see where im at. did i mention that they also auto delete any email over 90 days from your inbox. they were sued big time in the 80s and dont want any old emails haunting them. we were bought by them over a year ago and i went from running the network to barely having administrative rights. oh well at least im working.

Vehn
08-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Dude you are gonna have the biggest penis EVER.

moondogg
08-04-2004, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
did i mention that they also auto delete any email over 90 days from your inbox. they were sued big time in the 80s and dont want any old emails haunting them.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I got stuck working as the tech expert on a copyright infringement lawsuit back in 2000. After trying to piece together email conversations with 90-day gaps, I decided to start saving every damn email, and to never type anything I don't want read out loud on national TV. If we have to tangle with another company in a lawsuit, I definitely want my email trails haunting them. It's amazing what some people will type and then send out.

2GB of email?? I spent 3 years at a VERY middle-management based company (i.e. shiteloads of email), and I never got near 2 GB. You need to tell your pointy-haired boss to back off. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Owning a big company is awesome. Working for one blows.

scotnt73
08-04-2004, 02:03 PM
the 2 gb guys are people in contracts who try to keep every email they have ever sent or received. the sales guys do the same thing. my company sells night vision equiptment and deals with different government(military) agencies alot.

pudley4
08-04-2004, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude you have the biggest penis EVER.

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif