PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Tournament of Champions field

RowdyZ
08-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Who would you like to see and who do you think ESPN is going to pick?

I would like to see
1. Danny N
2. T.J.
3. Howard L.
4. Phil Ivey
5. Phil Hellmuth
6. Chris Ferguson
7. Doyle Brunson
8. John Juanda
9. Dan Harrington

ESPN will probably go with sometrhing like this lineup
1. FErguson
2. Fischman
3. Duke
4. Awada
5. Raymer
6. Hellmuth
7. Moneymaker
8. Ivey
9. Boyd

Cleveland Guy
08-04-2004, 10:42 AM
All good picks. Based on his number of TV final tables gotta think Juanda is in. Also - isn't Men the master at the top of the "leaderboard"

Would make it tough to leave him out.

What's the critera for this? Are they trying to pick people who did well on the TV events? If so Fischman is a lock - and I don't see Ivey being in at all.

RowdyZ
08-04-2004, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All good picks. Based on his number of TV final tables gotta think Juanda is in. Also - isn't Men the master at the top of the "leaderboard"

Would make it tough to leave him out.

What's the critera for this? Are they trying to pick people who did well on the TV events? If so Fischman is a lock - and I don't see Ivey being in at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that was Minh not Men at the top but I wasn't sure if that WSOP standing or Player of the year standings.

RowdyZ
08-04-2004, 10:46 AM
I pioked the ESPN table based on who they seem to be favoring as far as featuring in thier little segements and final table successes. Ivey would have to be there because he is "the Tiger Woods" of Poker.

Cleveland Guy
08-04-2004, 11:03 AM
But he's been a non-factor this year - and I don't think he did great in the Main event either (not sure but don't remember hearing much about him).

I guess it all depends - is this a true TOC? or an all star event?

Nottom
08-04-2004, 11:22 AM
I'd expect to see mostly winners and top leaderboard players in this maybe something like:

Negraneu
Forrest
Fischman
Raymer
Minh Ngywen
Awada

plus a few others that ESPN likes.

elbombastico
08-04-2004, 02:03 PM
What is this Tournament and where can i get info?

coolhandtom
08-04-2004, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is this Tournament and where can i get info?

[/ QUOTE ]

it is a WSOP special , to be aired Sept 21st [?] i believe is what the promo said.. $2 million prize winner takes all, not sure what the buy in is per player..

* the leaderboard was for the WSOP points leader.. which was MINH , not Men..

bones
08-04-2004, 02:42 PM
I'm sure it'll be a good table, but I'll be much more interested in the Fox Sports special coming up.

Ivey
Chan
Brunson
Reese
Lederer
Hansen
Cloutier
Greenstein

Doesn't get a whole lot better than that.

coolhandtom
08-04-2004, 02:47 PM
that sounds awesome.. any schedule times/dates?

Army Eye
08-04-2004, 02:58 PM
Actually that was Minh not Men at the top but I wasn't sure if that WSOP standing or Player of the year standings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Minh lead the WSOP all-around leaderboard for a while. I guess maybe he is still leading it in 'TV time'

Men 'The Master' won the Player of the Year award in 2003. He'd be the better candidate for a Tournament of Champions.

Annie Duke
08-08-2004, 05:55 AM
Here is the list--except for Raymer they were all picked by a poll espn did during the WSOP. Raymer is in cause he won the main event--as it should be.

Howard Lederer
TJ Cloutier
Chip Reese
Doyle Brunson
Phil Ivey
Phil Hellmuth
Men Nguyen
Annie Duke
Greg Raymer
Johnny Chan

There are obviously some notables not on the list: Erik Seidel and Gus Hansen in particular. But I guess if you are polling for 9 there will be great great players not included. It is a shame they cannot do two tables.

I personally don't think I belong there but I will take the chance at 2 million lol.

Annie Duke

Duke
08-08-2004, 07:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I personally don't think I belong there

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why your name isn't as fitting as any other name on that list.

[ QUOTE ]
but I will take the chance at 2 million

[/ QUOTE ]

You should trade 20% with that Howard guy.

Note that I'm not a fan, but just offering what I think is an unbiased positive assessment - my first name just happens to match your last.

~D

Johnsears
08-08-2004, 07:51 AM
GL

Greg Raymer is a lucky guy.

z32fanatic
08-08-2004, 09:49 AM
I'm kind of surprised Chip Reese is on that list. I didn't think many casual fans knew who he was. I'm also surprised that Moneymaker and Harrington are not in it. It's unfortunate that Seidel and Forrest are not very well known as neither played any part in the 2003 WSOP main event.

Stew
08-08-2004, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here is the list--except for Raymer they were all picked by a poll espn did during the WSOP. Raymer is in cause he won the main event--as it should be.

Howard Lederer
TJ Cloutier
Chip Reese
Doyle Brunson
Phil Ivey
Phil Hellmuth
Men Nguyen
Annie Duke
Greg Raymer
Johnny Chan

There are obviously some notables not on the list: Erik Seidel and Gus Hansen in particular. But I guess if you are polling for 9 there will be great great players not included. It is a shame they cannot do two tables.

I personally don't think I belong there but I will take the chance at 2 million lol.

Annie Duke

[/ QUOTE ]

Annie, how do you figure Gus Hansen should be in? He's never won anything at the WSOP if I'm not mistaken. Since this is a WSOP TOC, then he has nothing to his credit to make the list? Now, if this were a WPT TOC, then he'd be first in line.

Also, you are right, Erik is a glaring omission and it's too bad that the viewing public hasn't had a chance to see him play on TV much since this the advent of lipstick cams and poker on TV every other hour.

If indeed this is a WSOP TOC then the other obvious noteable omissions are Chris Ferguson, Layne Flack and possibly Huck Seed.

SaintAces
08-08-2004, 11:26 AM
will be fun you watch you and howard play escpecially.

I would have loved to see Scotty Nguyen and possible Baniel N (not because I agree with his views on you... ect, but becasue he is a great player.)

anyways, good luck!

Annie Duke
08-08-2004, 01:09 PM
I was surprised that Gus wasn't on the list because he has had so much TV coverage with his 3 WPT wins. Remember this was a poll of players. espn did not pick the list. In that case Gus seemed like a glaring omission while Chip Reese was a surprise since he has basically had no coverage on TV.

I think I should not be on that list because NL Hold'em is not my best game and there are some far greaters players than I not on the list--Gus and Erik in particular. That is why when I got the call from Harrah's I asked if I was on there just because they wanted a girl on the list. I was surprised I had actually been picked on the poll. I assume it is because I got so deep in last years 10k event and got so much coverage from espn.

I think the group they have will be entertaining. And in the end if you are only showing 10 players there will have to be some truly great players omitted.

Rjeeves
08-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Well, I would have liked to see Howard and Daniel in the lineup, but nevertheless, this sounds like an exciting event. Certainly one worth the tivo space.

Annie Duke
08-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Howard is in the lineup.

Rjeeves
08-08-2004, 02:21 PM
woops, my bad. Damn multi tasking....

shadow29
08-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Danny N is not there? That's a shocker. (not being facetious). I thought he dominated the WSOP this year?

Kevmath
08-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Silly question, but are all 10 of you putting up 200K, or is this 2 million sponsored by some company? It seems rather foolish to offer 2 million for what is essentially a 2 hour event on TV, but that's poker for you.

Kevin...

jasonHoldEm
08-08-2004, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
are all 10 of you putting up 200K

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be curious as well, but my guess is that it's almost certainly sponsored. I doubt you'd get these guys to sit down together if they were risking their own money on a winner take all shot.

J

Doctor Teller
08-08-2004, 07:37 PM
Actually, there's a tournament that's goning to be broadcast super bowl sunday that has legendary players putting in a lot of their own money for a really big prize (Among them Cloutier, Lederer, Brunson, Reese, Chan, Ivey, Hansen, etc etc).

Cardplayer had an article on it in their archives, "Ace among Kings", should be pretty easy to find.

Annie, I believe you got voted in primarily because you represent a major facet (sp?) of the women's poker game, no doubt caused by your run in the 03 WSOP (and to any enthusiasts, your run in '00).

Who's to say Jennifer Harman or Kathy Liebert could have taken your place in this thing had they made the final table in 03? Who knows. Polls are just trends of popular opinion, and you beating up on some of the best poker players in the world probably had to do with your nomination /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mons
08-08-2004, 09:09 PM
I'd like to know who they polled. No Negreanu, Hansen, or Forrest is ridiculous IMO. I don't want to say that ESPN had influence over who was chosen, but I think the voters are idiots.

Bobby Digital
08-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Didn't Negreanu finish first in the WSOP standings and 2nd in the WPT? How could he possibly not be in?

-Syk-
08-08-2004, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't Negreanu finish first in the WSOP standings and 2nd in the WPT? How could he possibly not be in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure, but do you like Wu Tang?

jasonHoldEm
08-08-2004, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, there's a tournament that's goning to be broadcast super bowl sunday that has legendary players putting in a lot of their own money for a really big prize (Among them Cloutier, Lederer, Brunson, Reese, Chan, Ivey, Hansen, etc etc).

Cardplayer had an article on it in their archives, "Ace among Kings", should be pretty easy to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ace among kings tournament has multiple payouts and multiple stages...the way the ESPN tournament is looking it appears to be a one time shot and winner take all, essentially a SNG with a $200k buy-in.

My point was that 200k is a lot (even to these pros) to sit down and risk on an all or nothing shot against the best in the world...it's money they could use in much better ways, which is why I suspected the prize pool is sponsored in whole or part. I certainly don't know one way or the other and would be curious to find out...maybe 200k isn't that much and it's worth the gamble to those involved (and this might explain why some of the other names that have been mentioned in the thread aren't appearing as they didn't want to risk the money).

Whatever, I'm just wondering.

J

Stew
08-09-2004, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The ace among kings tournament has multiple payouts and multiple stages...the way the ESPN tournament is looking it appears to be a one time shot and winner take all, essentially a SNG with a $200k buy-in.

My point was that 200k is a lot (even to these pros) to sit down and risk on an all or nothing shot against the best in the world...it's money they could use in much better ways, which is why I suspected the prize pool is sponsored in whole or part. I certainly don't know one way or the other and would be curious to find out...maybe 200k isn't that much and it's worth the gamble to those involved (and this might explain why some of the other names that have been mentioned in the thread aren't appearing as they didn't want to risk the money).

Whatever, I'm just wondering.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not correct Jason, the Ace among Kings tourney is winner take all. Straight from Cardplayer,

"FoxSportsNet would broadcast two tournaments. These tournaments would be broken into 12 episodes, starting on Sunday, Aug. 15, 2004, at 9 p.m. and running on each consecutive Sunday after that. Each tournament would consist of two matches and one finale. The purpose of each match would be to accumulate chips for the finale. The purpose of each finale on FSN would be to accumulate chips for the championship on NBC. For each match on FSN, players would begin with $100,000 of their $400,000 buy-in. NBC would then televise the championship on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb 6., two hours prior to the Super Bowl. This format would give the players several chances to accumulate chips for the final championship. The players who perform the best in the matches will have more chips to start the finale, and the players who perform the best in the finale will have more chips to start the championship. So, a lucky break would help only so much if you couldn't keep up the good work in the rest of the games."

jasonHoldEm
08-09-2004, 12:51 AM
Maybe I misread it but I thought it said the winner would walk away with a "cool million" (or something to that effect) I assumed that since the total buy-ins were in excess of 3 million there were multiple payouts. Maybe they meant each stage...maybe I should have read the whole article. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

J

AlexM
08-09-2004, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is a shame they cannot do two tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised they aren't. It seems to me that doing 2 or even 3 tables would give them a lot more to air.

AlexM
08-09-2004, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm kind of surprised Chip Reese is on that list. I didn't think many casual fans knew who he was.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the poll was done at the WSOP, I wouldn't think there would be a ton of casual fans voting.

Bobby Digital
08-09-2004, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to rebuy/download 36 chambers a few times cause it got so much play. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I swing sWords and cut clowns...

-Syk-
08-10-2004, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to rebuy/download 36 chambers a few times cause it got so much play. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I swing sWords and cut clowns...

[/ QUOTE ]

36 Chambers is classic. I love that album.

eMarkM
08-10-2004, 10:55 AM
on RGP (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=ec009f64.0408091415.461ec9aa%40posting.g oogle.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dgroup:rec.gambling.poker%2Bauthor:Eri k%2Bauthor:Seidel%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3Dec009f64.0408091415.461ec9aa%2540postin g.google.com%26rnum%3D1)

TomCollins
08-13-2004, 02:09 PM
There is no way they would play if they were asked to put up 200K. No dead money. How much, if any, they have to put up is a good question. Perhaps Annie can/cannot say.

Tyler Durden
08-13-2004, 04:24 PM
How could Dan Harrington be ommitted? What a farce.

fat_nutz
08-13-2004, 04:50 PM
Annie, aren't you surprised that Negreanu isn't there also? I mean, I've heard there's bad blood between the two of you or whatever, but judging solely (or objectively might be a better word) on WSOP performance, surely he's deserving right? Did well in player of the year this year, I think... not that I really care, just wondering if you think Seidel is more deserving than Negreanu for poker reasons... good luck!

Stew
08-13-2004, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is no way they would play if they were asked to put up 200K. No dead money. How much, if any, they have to put up is a good question. Perhaps Annie can/cannot say.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true as the players in the Ace Among Kings or the SuperStars Tournament (same tourney, different names) each put up 400K apiece.

Annie Duke
08-14-2004, 03:26 PM
I am surprised that a lot of people are not on that list--Daniel included. The fact is that they only picked 9 people so many great players were going to be excluded: Seidel, Greenstein, Hansen, Ferguson, Juanda and Negreanu were among them. Obviously, Daniel is deserving of being on that list.

Given that ESPN and Harrah's are branded to the WSOP I can see why Hansen and Greenstein were not included. But I do think, personally, that Erik is more deserving than Daniel and here is why:

Erik has 6 bracelets. He has beaten the line up at the table they chose 8 times heads up and lost only once--to Chan in '88. He has more money won than Daniel and more bracelets. More final tables and more cashes. Erik has such longevity that he is a legend at the WSOP. Daniel had a great year this year and winning the Toyota Player of the Year thing would probably put him number 2 on my list of excluded players. Ferguson or Juanda would be number 3.

My judgment of his skill is not in the least affected but his attacks on me. I am able to separate the two things.

Annie

daryn
08-14-2004, 04:07 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
That is why when I got the call from Harrah's I asked if I was on there just because they wanted a girl on the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo.

keep in mind i'm not trying to "bash" you. i have never really talked trash about any player. clearly you're a great poker player. but i do think that you hit the nail on the head with your comment above.

kpux
08-14-2004, 04:57 PM
What about Scotty Nguyen? Doesn't he have like 5 bracelets, including the championship event? It's weird that nobody has even mentioned him yet, especially since he's so entertaining. The banter between him and Men would be hilarious, methinks.

$DEADSEXE$
08-14-2004, 05:39 PM
i'de like to see
1. Johnny Chan
2. Dan N.
3. Phil Hellmuth
4. Doyle Brunson
5. T.J.
6. Howard L
7. Gus Hansen
8. Layne Flack

small blinds..lots of post flop play
9. Phil Ivey

Stew
08-14-2004, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about Scotty Nguyen? Doesn't he have like 5 bracelets, including the championship event? It's weird that nobody has even mentioned him yet, especially since he's so entertaining. The banter between him and Men would be hilarious, methinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scotty has four, I really like Scotty and love watching him play as well. But, I would much prefer Seidel personally b/c he hasn't hardly been on TV (except he US poker Champ from last year I think on FSN). The problem like this with Invitational Tourneys is someone is always going to get shut out and someone is always going to be included that people are going to complain about. In My Opinion, it's ESPN's deal, so they should have whoever they want on there. But, I think that clearly that Seidel and Ferguson would have been nice b/c as I said, they haven't been on much as of late and it's nice to see different people play and they are deserving as much as anyone else on the list. Certainly arguments could be made for others like Negreanu, Juanda, Flack, Scotty Nguyen and Ted Forrest for sure. In fact, I'd that anyone living with four or more bracelets probably got shorted in this deal. But, again the line has to be drawn somewhere doesn't it.

Sundevils21
08-14-2004, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My judgment of his skill is not in the least affected but his attacks on me. I am able to separate the two things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite impressive. I wasn't around poker during the whole fued but its nice to see you responding that way... and I think daniel should have the spot before you.(not that you neccisarily disagree)

Annie Duke
08-14-2004, 08:54 PM
I actually might disagree that Daniel deserves to be there more than I because it depends on why Harrah's chose the list they chose. Certainly on the basis of skill he deserves it much more than I. But, remember, this is a TV show and Harrah's and ESPN are putting up the dough. Therefore, they probably made their choices as much on ratings value as skill. Having a chick there was probably important for them in terms of making sure the show gets ratings, and I understand that. Again, given that this is an ESPN show and, therefore, needs to be based on WSOP results, I am the obvious girl choice since I am by far the leading money winner among women at the event. At the WPT I would not be the right choice for women since I have not done so well there.

In some ways, from a ratings standpoint alone, I might be the most obvious choice on that list. From a skill standpoint--well that is a completely different story since I obviously will not be close to the best player in that event.

On the feud comment, I don't consider what happened with Daniel a feud since that would imply that I was fighting back. Since I never responded but chose, instead, to keep my arms down by my side while the punches flew, I would hardly term that a feud.

Annie

shadow29
08-14-2004, 10:19 PM
Aren't there like 5 (maybe 2, but hey) of these things going on?

Anyone care to list them all? Also their show dates and channels. Thanks!

Sundevils21
08-14-2004, 11:15 PM
I don't know much about the past. I've only read a couple of danny's posts. If its true that you've never came out swinging in response to his blatent personal attacks, then that shows a lot of class. Anyway, lets forget about the past. Good luck in the tournament. I'm sure you will represent women and poker players in general very well.

riverflush
08-15-2004, 12:54 AM
Looks like Daniel Negreanu might be in the ESPN event after all:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm hearing rumblings tonight that Daniel Negreanu may in fact be in next month's ESPN Tournament of Champions event. Over the past two days ESPN has hinted to me that the lineup that was leaked to the internet may not be set in stone. I have no official confirmation as of yet - but more than one person connected to the event has told me that Negreanu will be extended an invitation to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Army Eye
08-15-2004, 03:30 AM
Scotty has four, I really like Scotty and love watching him play as well. But, I would much prefer Seidel personally b/c he hasn't hardly been on TV (except he US poker Champ from last year I think on FSN).

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just as well he hasn't been on TV much, what with how much he tried to hide his cards from the camera during the US CHampionship