PDA

View Full Version : RP5 "randomizer"

papawawa
08-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Anyone every notice a strange sequence of hands from the supposedly "random" computer? For example, once I got dealt KK THREE HANDS IN A ROW. Last night I had AKs twice in a row.

Nottom
08-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I was dealt J /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 times in a row last night, do you know what the odds of that is ... its practically impossible. I never seen that kind of crap live but I see that kind of garbage all the time amongst the hundreds of thousands of hands I've seen online.

Arnie
08-04-2004, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone every notice a strange sequence of hands from the supposedly "random" computer? For example, once I got dealt KK THREE HANDS IN A ROW. Last night I had AKs twice in a row.

[/ QUOTE ]

stop bitching about the randomizer, everything is possible, yea maybe the odds are astronomical but it is possible to get dealt the same hand 1,000 times in a row. you come off soundling like a moron when you bitch

hummusx
08-04-2004, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I was dealt J /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 times in a row last night, do you know what the odds of that is ... its practically impossible. I never seen that kind of crap live but I see that kind of garbage all the time amongst the hundreds of thousands of hands I've seen online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like the chance of getting the exact same cards (suits included) are about 1/2652. So if you have 10 people sitting at a table that's 1/265 that someone at the table gets the exact same cards twice in a row. Now figure that a site like Party is dealing about...1500 games a minute? Depends on when you are playing. That means on average about 6 people should get the exact same hand they just had per minute.

Something like KK or AK has an even better chance, if we aren't stipulating that they have to be the same suit as before.

papawawa
08-04-2004, 11:48 AM
yeah im not bitching, just think its strange. btw you sound like a moron if you think I'm complaining about getting KK three times in a row.

cardcounter0
08-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Last night I got JTo dealt to me 4 times in a row.

Since it was a B&M game, all I could do is bitch at the dealer for a new deck. Does any one know what starting seed live dealers use in their randomizer?

Luv2DriveTT
08-04-2004, 12:18 PM
I wonce got AA twice in a row, followed by AK. It was in a tourny at a NYC card room using two diferent decks. It can happen, its wierd, but it can happen.

In da club /images/graemlins/club.gif

PotatoStew
08-04-2004, 12:44 PM
That's randomness for ya. It can be pretty... uh... random.

smokingrobot
08-04-2004, 12:45 PM
lol

smokingrobot
08-04-2004, 12:50 PM
wow, thats great.

normally i get K3, Q3, J3, 103 etc.

then i just fold for a while or stop playing.

kem
08-04-2004, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seems like the chance of getting the exact same cards (suits included) are about 1/2652. So if you have 10 people sitting at a table that's 1/265 that someone at the table gets the exact same cards twice in a row. Now figure that a site like Party is dealing about...1500 games a minute? Depends on when you are playing. That means on average about 6 people should get the exact same hand they just had per minute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's more like 2/2652, since it was never stipulated to that you had to be dealt the same cards in the same order. For instance, if you had A/images/graemlins/heart.gifK/images/graemlins/heart.gif in hand 1, there's a 1/2652 chance you're dealt A/images/graemlins/heart.gifK/images/graemlins/heart.gif and a 1/2652 chance you're dealt K/images/graemlins/heart.gifA/images/graemlins/heart.gif in the next hand. 2/2652 is 1/1326.. 1326 is commonly referenced as the number of different starting hands in Hold 'Em, which is basically what this question boils down to. So if you've played more than 1,326 hands in your life, odds are that you have been dealt the same exact hand twice in a row /images/graemlins/smile.gif

And calculating these odds for the entire table at once is not so simple. Hands are not independent -- if Player 1 is dealt the same hand twice in a row, everyone else has a slightly greater chance of being dealt the same hand as well, as compared to the case where Player 1 is dealt a different starting hand. To see this even more clearly, if the first 9 players are dealt the same hand as their last one, then our 10th player still has his 2 cards left now (his 2 cards from the previous hand) in a deck of 34 cards (52-2*9). Clearly his odds are greater of randomly receiving the same hand that he had last time. If everyone at the table had a different starting hand than they had previously, then our 10th player's 2 cards might already be dealt out hence lowering his odds of getting a repeat hand. I don't think it's necessarily a hard calculation, but much grungier than I'm willing to do at the moment /images/graemlins/smile.gif

John Feeney
08-05-2004, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's randomness for ya. It can be pretty... uh... random.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sums it up.

In Inside the Poker Mind I included an essay related to this called (IIRC) "On Randomness, Rushes, Hot Seats, and Bad luck Dealers." I don't recall, though, if I mentioned that a long sequence lacking these sorts of "odd" instances would not, in fact, be random, now would it?