PDA

View Full Version : 4th Street and an overpair...

05-06-2002, 04:12 PM
I Get AA in the SB!.

Mid/Late open raises, I 3-bet from the SB, BB calls $20 cold, M/L calls.

FLOP:

4-4d-T rainbow

I bet, BB raises, M/L calls $20 cold, I make it $30, BB calls, M/L calls.

TURN:

4-4d-T--6d

I bet, BB calls, M/L Raises, It's on me...

Re-Raise? Why?

Call? Why?

05-06-2002, 10:50 PM
It is time to just call. Either you have them beat, in which case it is extremely difficult for them to catch up or you are way behind and it is extremely difficult for you to catch up. Further, you are going to push anyone out here so I would just call.

P.S. My judgement might be clouded since I havent won with an overpair in a lot of hours at the table!

05-06-2002, 11:09 PM
It is time to just call. Either you have them beat, in which case it is extremely difficult for them to catch up or you are way behind and it is extremely difficult for you to catch up. Further, you are going to push anyone out here so I would just call.

And if the bb calls (i.e. he doesn't re-raise), you should probably bet out on the river and expect to get called by at least one, if not two overpairs both smaller than yours.

05-07-2002, 01:20 AM
Consider folding.

It is unlikely anyone has a flush draw, since you have the Ad, and anyone with an overpair of KK or AA probably 4 bets re-flop (except for those allergic to such things, like myself).

You have shown tremendous strength, as has the BB. The MP is raising here for value. Rule out QQ or JJ, as he would have played the flop harder, and/or would not raise here fearing a bigger pair. BB almost certainly has JJ-QQ, possibly KK or perhaps ATs, but the JJ/QQ is most likely.

So, what does this leave for MP - if the raise doesn't fit JJ or QQ, and if the pre-flop/flop doesn't fit KK or AA, you are against trips, a FH, or quads.

So, if you know that this player would 4 bet pre-flop with KK or AA, you should fold. However, if he would play KK or AA slow until the turn (like I might), you should call down.

Dan Z.

05-07-2002, 06:26 AM
The M/L's actions are absolutely consistent with holding pocket tens: Open for a raise, just call when reraised by the SB, since a reraise from the SB indicates a very strong hand. Flop a full house, quietly cold call a raise and then drop the hammer on 4th street. Pocket tens fits perfectly. I suppose something like A-4 suited is possible also.

Having said this, you have to have a pretty high level of confidence in this read before you make a big laydown. The pot is very big already, and there are other, though less compelling, explanations for the betting pattern (such as Ad-Td, AA, or KK). I don't see any reason to reraise here given that the most plausible explanation is that you are up against a full house. I think I would go into crying call mode. Once and a while I'll even get lucky and spike an Ace on the river.

05-07-2002, 10:31 AM
such as Ad-Td

Td is on the board

05-07-2002, 10:32 AM
since you have the Ad

no i dont

05-07-2002, 10:37 AM
I put the BB on a Ten with his flop raise, with a chance for JJ. I figured that QQ-AA would cap.

I admit the late position players play looks like a set of Tens. I thought he would also play an overpair that way. This player was tricky. The fact that the BB probably had a Ten made it very unlikely the late position opener had TT.

I re-raised. I thought BB was fishy enough to call all the way with a Ten.

BB folded. Late Called.

I bet the river, late called. AA was good vs. KK.

I think that calling and then betting the river is a better line of play.