PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Piece of a Player

goldcowboy
08-04-2004, 08:02 AM
I'm intrigued by the concept of a poker player selling a piece of himself prior to a major tourney. I don't aspire to do this myself, as my banker would probably advise me to buy more cows rather than a piece of a poker player. He's narrow-minded that way... But I'm curious how it works and what the "going rate" might be. Obviously for the player its a "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" sort of deal, but how does a potential buyer place a value on such a proposition? What would it cost, for instance, to buy a quarter of Negreanu, Ivey, or Harrigan? Conversely, what would it cost to buy a quarter of a 29-year-old Nashville accountant who won a $39 online satellite and was playing in his first B&M tourney in the WSOP?

The_Tracker
08-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Kansas huh? Where at in KS? I am in Wichita but am planning to move to Vegas before the end of the year. Probably to Henderson actually.

As far as buying a pro, what are you going to do with one once you buy them? Out to dinner, movie, maybe some cards?? (j/k)

goldcowboy
08-04-2004, 01:24 PM
Well, I was thinking of having him mounted and displaying him in my trophy room /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm in a small town in Western Kansas, poker capital of the universe...

The_Tracker
08-04-2004, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, the Kansas poker players are not to be messed with! If you think about it though, 150 years ago, poker was much more previlant in the plains than say Neveda or New York or Europe certainly. Played in the dusty dark saloons with a bottle of whiskey and six shooters.

How times have changed. Nobody lets me bring my sidearm to the table anymore.

goldcowboy
08-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Yep. The famous (infamous?) poker town of Dodge City is just an hour down the road from me, and I learned recently that the Dodge House Saloon is running a weekly holdem tournament. Unfortunately, due to Kansas laws, it is a play money tourney, played for door prizes. <sigh> Maybe someday...

Dominic
08-04-2004, 07:46 PM
I'm I'm bying a piece, she better look more like Jessica Simpson than Daniel N.!

BarronVangorToth
08-04-2004, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, the Kansas poker players are not to be messed with! If you think about it though, 150 years ago, poker was much more previlant in the plains than say Neveda or New York or Europe certainly. Played in the dusty dark saloons with a bottle of whiskey and six shooters.

How times have changed. Nobody lets me bring my sidearm to the table anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you did, you might accidentally shoot yourself with it when you saw some of the marvels of the modern age, like cell phones and iPods.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

dogmeat
08-04-2004, 09:45 PM
The first player I heard of that was obligated to pay-off a big piece of a win was Hans "Tuna" Lund, who was playing some $5/$10 and considering a try at a sat. to play in the Super Bowl of Poker. He had a few $100 takers at the table and then went and won the sat. Then he went to the Championship Event and won that. The guys that put up $100 each got back about $25K

A lot of the bigger tournament players have backers, and they usually put up zero and take up to 60% of the win. For players that have not been around long, they often get a backer that puts up a percentage and takes that same percentage back from the win, i.e. $5,000 event and they put up $1,000 - player wins $20,000 and they get 20% back (or $4,000). For a complete unknown, you would be lucky to get this deal.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

goldcowboy
08-05-2004, 01:16 AM
Phone? What's a phone?

The_Tracker
08-05-2004, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yep. The famous (infamous?) poker town of Dodge City is just an hour down the road from me, and I learned recently that the Dodge House Saloon is running a weekly holdem tournament. Unfortunately, due to Kansas laws, it is a play money tourney, played for door prizes. <sigh> Maybe someday...

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that ridiculous? Dodge City of all places, playing poker for door prizes. That's why I am moving. I am tired of waiting on this state to catch up to the rest of the country.