PDA

View Full Version : LOHL tournament strategy -- tips and tricks needed

M.B.E.
08-04-2004, 02:42 AM
I've been reading Ray Zee's book on limit Omaha high-low to prepare for the WCOOP event. He says to play super-tight preflop. Is that correct in a tournament situation?

For example, he says that a pair of aces without anything else going for it should be thrown away in early position. Do good players actually do that? I think I'd have a difficult time mucking a hand like A/images/graemlins/spade.gifA/images/graemlins/heart.gif9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif7/images/graemlins/club.gif UTG.

Any other tips and tricks for playing a LOHL MTT?

I also will post two hands I played in a satellite.

pokerhooker
08-04-2004, 05:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd have a difficult time mucking a hand like A/images/graemlins/spade.gifA/images/graemlins/heart.gif9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif7/images/graemlins/club.gif UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should use that hand as an example. From an article by Annie Duke (Omaha champion at this year's WSOP):

"A/images/graemlins/spade.gifA/images/graemlins/diamond.gif7/images/graemlins/club.gif8/images/graemlins/heart.gif is actually a hand that you can throw away from early position and you should never call a raise with unless you are in the big blind. With this hand you have no good low features and no suits. The only feature is AA so really you are either hoping that your one pair will stand up, which rarely happens in Omaha 8/b, or that you will flop a set, which is a) less likely to stand up in Omaha 8/b than hold'em and b) increasing the likelihood that you are only gunning for half the pot by putting an Ace out there."

You can read the full article at http://www.annieduke.com

M.B.E.
08-04-2004, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the link; those articles by Duke on O8 starting hands are great. Clear, concise, much more digestible than the Zee book.