PDA

View Full Version : A7s hand vs Maniac

cartoonsoldier
08-04-2004, 02:26 AM
PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 <font color="purple">(Maniac)</font> calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks,

Flop: (5 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Maniac checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, Maniac calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Maniac checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Maniac calls.

River: (6 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Maniac bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8 BB, between Maniac and Hero.</font>

Should I have raised the river here? You guys put him on anything?

Should I have played any of the other streets differently?

Another question: vs a Maniac, do you tighten up PF or losen up PF ?

siccjay
08-04-2004, 02:58 AM
I'd definatley raise the river against a manaic. He could have a 9 or a 2 or ANY pocket pair and once he seen the 2nd 8 he thinks "AYE BOSS I GOTS TWO PAIR!" and clicked bet. I think if he has you beat (by a Kicker better than 9) he would have been going nuts a long time ago.

flopmonster
08-04-2004, 03:13 AM
I dunno I think you made the right move here. Maybe I'm weak tight but I dont think raising this river is that great a move.

Peter Harris
08-04-2004, 03:59 AM
if he had was a maniac he'd so one, some or all of the following:

1) raise preflop with any PP
2) raise preflop with any ace

3) bet the flop with an ace
4) bet the turn with a 9 or 8

5) bet the river.

So i reckon a raise is a good move. Hell, i'd put him on KT or something trashy and he just takes a pot shot. What i don't put him on is a hand that beats yours, and for that i would raise the river.

Regards,
Pete Harris

afk
08-04-2004, 07:27 AM
I like the way you played the hand.

Against the maniac there are many other things to consider than just loosening or tightening up. You need to consider your relative position to him - ie. if he's to your right, will isolation raises with weaker hands knock out the rest of the table? If he's to your left, you need to consider the fact that you're going to get raised most of the time on your left, so factor that in to the types of hands you play preflop. HPFAP has an excellent section on dealing with maniacs, if you haven't read it.

Jaran
08-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Hey toon,
I'm not disputing your read, since I wasn't at the table, but MP1 sure didn't play this hand like a maniac. In fact, if he's on a weak Ace and puts you on a draw, I like his line postflop(but that is prolly giving way too much credit).

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have raised the river here? You guys put him on anything?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't raise here. Even a maniac could hold an 8. I put him on a Ax, with x&lt;6

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have played any of the other streets differently?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think your line was fine.

[ QUOTE ]
Another question: vs a Maniac, do you tighten up PF or losen up PF ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Tighten up and raise more to isolate when you have a hand.

-Jaran

Chris Daddy Cool
08-18-2004, 07:01 AM
This is a classic line of check/call, check/call, bet weak top pair.

BTW, you do know you're chopping against any ace weaker than yours right? Which is why I don't like raising the river because an ace will call anyways and AT takes the pot.

BTW, if he did have an ace and was actually a maniac as the post described, then it's unlikely he has an A, so a raise is okay since its hard to imagine the runner runner 8's helped him.

BTW, anybody raise this preflop? I'm a LAG, so I'm not quite sure.