PDA

View Full Version : If "The Crew" is listening...

nolanfan34
08-04-2004, 01:15 AM
After watching the WSOP coverage tonight, I was left with a few thoughts (about all my head can hold at once).

First, I'm not a "crew" hater or anything like that. I didn't really care about the previous segments, etc, I give them the benefit of the doubt a bit, because, hey, they are young, and are having success.

But after tonight - they all could learn a lot from the championship play of Gavin Griffin. He's young, handled himself professionally, and didn't come off as a jackass on TV. His gracious play I think helps salvage the image of the "young" poker player a bit compared the showboating and bragging in the two Crew features tonight.

The Crew, if you're out there - learn something from watching the Pot Limit final tonight. You can win without making people throughout TV land hate you.

Be glad this is 2004 - if you acted that way around the Vegas pros 30 years ago someone would have probably dragged you out into a back alley by now.

Just my 2 cents.

Moyer
08-04-2004, 04:29 AM
I agree. It was hard not to root for Griffin. He showed a lot of class.

mrbaseball
08-04-2004, 08:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Crew, if you're out there - learn something from watching the Pot Limit final tonight. You can win without making people throughout TV land hate you

[/ QUOTE ]

Gavin was pure class. No hooting, no hollering, no running over to high five his buddies in the gallery after winning a pot or knocking someone out.

Who was that tool that sucked out with the 55 and started whooping it up and high fiving it? What a stroke! Obviously a crew wanabee.

The crew (and especially Fischman) came off looking like total dicks yet again.

MEbenhoe
08-04-2004, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Who was that tool that sucked out with the 55 and started whooping it up and high fiving it?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're talking about the hand I'm thinking of (first hand of the tourney). The guy with 55 was up against AK, so he didnt suck out his hand just held up, and he was all in too so I say a little emotional outburst after winning is fine, maybe a little over the top, but when you get to a wsop final table and win a coin flip for all your money I'm sure you'll be pretty excited as well.

mrbaseball
08-04-2004, 09:39 AM
Okay it held up. He was still totally out of line and a 100% jerkoff in my opinion. If I ever act that way anywhere under any circumstances I hope someone shoots me.

Triumph36
08-04-2004, 06:07 PM
I was just looking for a thread to put that thought in nolanfan; A guy wearing a hat that says "Gank Owns" and calling himself Gank probably would've been long since dead or beaten in the old days of poker.

I have to wonder what someone like Sam Grizzle thinks of these young players.

benfranklin
08-04-2004, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I have to wonder what someone like Sam Grizzle thinks of these young players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably thinks they're a bunch of goofballs that just catch cards.

ElSapo
08-04-2004, 06:38 PM
Nice response.

Rushmore
08-04-2004, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Be glad this is 2004 - if you acted that way around the Vegas pros 30 years ago someone would have probably dragged you out into a back alley by now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I heard The Crew actually DID jump Gavin in the alley afterwards.

But all they did was "pants" him, and make fun of his sneakers. They were gonna steal his bracelet, but Doyle Brunson and Amarillo Slim happened to be walking out and shooed them all away, waving their canes in the air, calling them "whippersnappers," whatever that means. Slim had an odd look in his eye, to be honest.

Then The Crew all went back to the treehouse to laugh about it, but the truant officer caught them, and they had to make up a madcap story about their dog, Petey.

Oh, the times they have!

SossMan
08-04-2004, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Slim had an odd look in his eye, to be honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

zing!!

nolanfan34
08-04-2004, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then The Crew all went back to the treehouse to laugh about it, but the truant officer caught them, and they had to make up a madcap story about their dog, Petey.

Oh, the times they have!

[/ QUOTE ]

You post gOOt!

vulturesrow
08-05-2004, 02:00 AM
After watching my tape of the latest episode, I still think the crew is pretty gay. But even more so, I think fischman has got to be one of the biggest tools to ever sully the face of this planet..I cant believe precious O2 is wasted on that guy.

Drscheist
08-05-2004, 07:16 AM
It wasn't a coin flip when all the money went in on the flop.

Drscheist
08-05-2004, 07:30 AM
Trust me I wince too when these outbursts are caught on tape. It does demonstrate class and more than that to win graciously. But how 'bout Phil Hellmuth admonishing A.Esfandiari to "show a little class and shake my hand when you beat me," and going on to lose classlessly on several occasions. Or that goof R.Jensen. Or even A.Vahedi's out bursts. It isn't just the young players that do these things. And while we may think that they should feel obliged to respect the veteran players rather than vice versa, you have to blame/criticize them less, rather than more, for these lapses than you would older players. They're young, relatively inexperienced and these are their first experiences winning big tourneys and beating entire fields of the elite players they grew up idolizing. I'd have trouble controlling my emotions too, but I know I wouldn't run to the rail pounding my chest before shaking my opponents hand (whom I managed to suck out on after being outplayed).

TomCollins
08-05-2004, 09:32 AM
Hellmuth may be a baby, but I've never seen him rub it in the face of someone he beats. He just complains when he is beaten.

Meanwhile, the Crew does not act like an ass when they suffer a bad beat. They do it when they pull a bad beat on someone. Can you imagine what Hellmuth would do if you sucked out on him, then screamed in his face like a fool? Hopefully, this happens and we can see fist fight #2.

vulturesrow
08-05-2004, 09:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can you imagine what Hellmuth would do if you sucked out on him, then screamed in his face like a fool?

[/ QUOTE ]

I nearly spit soda all over my monitor when I read this..hilarious.