PDA

View Full Version : 50/100 HOE @ Mo. Sun

05-06-2002, 08:35 AM
Playing the hold'em portion of a average game (9 handed).

Terms:

fantastic player (FP)

great UTG player who is very aggressive (GUTG)

The GUTG player rasies, it is passed to the FP (3 from the button)who calls, blinds fold.

They see the flop of A K 7. GUTG bets and FP calls. Turn is an 8. Check and bet. River and 8. Check, Bet, call. FP show K8o.

Now I understand the importance of position reading and such, but this seems to be quite an extreme and makes me wonder why FP would make this play? Seems to me like EV is low, particularly the way he played the hand. Maybe he was making a play on GUTG aggressiveness, but it seems to me he could pick a better spot.

I wonder if after all FP is really even that.

-Speedy

05-06-2002, 08:37 AM
maybe he knew intuitively, that the other guy did not have a strong hand...... yeah, it looks like he got lucky on the turn and river, making a boat....but I bet the other guy was betting a small pair.....and the FP had him beat on the flop.

What did the other guy have??

05-06-2002, 01:11 PM
No show.

05-06-2002, 01:27 PM
Good players seldom cold-call raises. It's either re-raise or muck. Good players also don't play cheese like K8 from middle position. I would take the fact that this guy cold-called an UTG raise by a good player with cheese as strong evidence that he might not be so "fantastic." Maybe he's brilliant at the split-pot games.

05-07-2002, 03:56 PM
1) FP has brass balls and likes to gamble

2) FP got a good read on GUTG

3) FP has a good feel for GUTG (related to #2)

4) They're in collusion and wanted to advertise FP's faux loose-aggressive tendencies (in this case GUTG could have even held AQs or similar)

5) FP knows GUTG is extremely aggresive, either #2 or #3 or both are true and FP wanted to isolate GUTG to exploit aggressive tendencies

6) just one of those crazy things you see at times