PDA

View Full Version : Phil Fans Unite

SpiderMnkE
08-03-2004, 09:34 PM
I know I'm not the only Hellmuth fan out there. I love the dude. Any closet fans wanna speak up and show support for the world champ.

Gooo Phillly!

RicktheRuler
08-03-2004, 10:32 PM
I was going to post this in the other thread, but this one seems more suitable. Phil is a great poker player. He is almost always right on his reads and when he whines and cries- like a classless baby-- he is usually right and, in addition, entertaining.

willie
08-03-2004, 10:33 PM
here here.

he is incredible, the wpt this year showed how aware he was up against monsters in bermuda....

amazing player, tough breaks. and he does biiiiiiiiiiitch.

daryn
08-03-2004, 11:12 PM
i deem him to be the best NL tourney player in the world.

The_Tracker
08-04-2004, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of both living and dead poker players??

RPatterson
08-04-2004, 12:29 AM
Since Stu Ungar's ghost is not "in the world" able to pull up to a table only his dead body would be allowed to play. Hellmuth would destroy Ungar's dead body in poker.

Stew
08-04-2004, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, n/m Gus Hansen, Phil Ivey and Negreanu to name a few.

Zaebos
08-04-2004, 12:57 AM
I have seen a corpse play a mean game of poker......

Iplayragstoo
08-04-2004, 01:12 AM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHH /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bobby Digital
08-04-2004, 03:08 AM
Eff it, I'm a huge hellmuth fan. I used to hate watching him play but now I look foward to it. He is a great reader of people and every tourney he is in is so much more enertaining.

ohkanada
08-04-2004, 10:28 AM
I am a big hellmuth fan but he made a couple folds in this years WSOP (final event) that is just plain crazy. Twice in a short time he laid down QQ pre-flop when he had a smallish stack. I am sure we will get to see them. He isn't that good that he can be mucking QQ in those situations. He really needs to reevaluate his strategy and realize although he may be the best if he isn't willing do a little gamble he isn't going to win much anymore.

And the last several tv shows with him on, he has had some terrible luck.

Ken

Dominic
08-04-2004, 10:34 AM
I can beat any dead player alive!

Dominic
08-04-2004, 10:36 AM
Love watching him play because I acnnot believe one player can be arrogant and yet such a little baby. Very entertaining.

WiredPear
08-04-2004, 11:02 AM
When you're right, you're right. He is a great poker player, has an incredible ability to read his opponents, and makes some amazing laydowns.

The only negatives are he's not shy about telling you how great he is and he can act a little silly after a bad beat. Many suffer from these negatives, so he's not alone and not that different from many of us.

Although, I thought he had pretty good reason to be upset last night. To lose twice to runner-runner flushes (maybe one was a straight). It's got to kill you. I wouldn't have kept it together either.

daveymck
08-04-2004, 11:11 AM
Not sure if the POker Kings documentary has been aired in the US but he came across on that very well, if someone who is highly motivated and goal orientated, but also very grounded that his family life is important to him.

The feeling I got from it was he wants to be known as the best most famous poker player like Ali in Boxing and that he acts in a way that gets media attention to further that cause. Ie the Whining etc he knoews will get him attention which leads to other media opportunities ie people want to interview him etc. He want to be the face of poker doing commercials getting sponsership from big companies etc.

jagoff
08-04-2004, 11:25 AM
He is a great player no doubt but...why the backwards hat? Everytime I see him I just want to hold him down and take a razor knife and saw off that HUGE mole next to his nose!

MOOOOOLLLLLLLEEEYYYYYY MOLEY MOLE MOLE!!!

dabluebery
08-04-2004, 11:32 AM
I love watching Hellmuth.

Sometimes I feel like if he didn't make such good laydowns, he'd have a chance to suck out on other people, and even things up.....

Lottery Larry
08-04-2004, 11:40 AM
My wife won't be one of them and neither will I. He whines way too much

Too bad Phil is the only player in the world who never gets lucky, only wins by skill

Songwind
08-04-2004, 11:50 AM
I don't know that I'd go so far as to call myself a fan, but I do have trememdous respect for his skill at the poker table, even if I do have more than a little contempt for his antics.

Frankly, he makes way too many final tables and money finishes to be getting lucky every time.. it'd be nice to see him get lucky and win a tournament, though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

playerfl
08-04-2004, 12:12 PM
the best ever was Stu Unger(sp?)

I saw a tv special on him, pretty incredible. Also very sad.

Sponger15SB
08-04-2004, 12:16 PM
world champ??? what has he done for me lately

MrGo
08-04-2004, 12:20 PM
I'm a huge fan of Phil. I am very competitive in anything I do, so when I lose a big pot, I also get very upset, similar to Phil.

It's not that Phil cries and whines forno reason - he is a competitor and wants to win. He is just perhaps over passionate (if there is such a thing) about poker, and I see nothing wrong with that.

toots
08-04-2004, 12:42 PM
You know, nothing against Phil (who is, by most definitions) one heck of a good tournament player, but:

When I read the title to this topic, I get a mental image of a big room with a lone geek standing in the middle alone, whining "where is everybody?"

TurtlePowers
08-04-2004, 01:07 PM
IMO Phil Hellmuth is god.

West
08-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Hmm, I thought he came across as an arrogant ass on Poker Kings myself.

The thing for me with Hellmuth is, it's hard for me to dislike him too much because as arrogant as he is, there's a simple, what you see is what you get quality about him that somehow makes him easier to take. He does seem to be legitimately friendly at the table, so long as you didn't put a bad beat on him with a play he didn't agree with, and he comes across as somebody who enjoys talking poker with anyone (so long as you realize how great he, Phil Hellmuth is). But when he says stuff like, "If it weren't for luck, I guess I'd win them all", he really shows you how cocky he is. Nevertheless, I think I'd enjoy playing at a table with Phil Hellmuth, and you certainly can't say that about everybody.

Wayne
08-04-2004, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Of both living and dead poker players??

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever try to get a read on a dead guy?

Dominic
08-04-2004, 07:48 PM
anybody wondering where Phil got that ulgy mole from can now rest easy- his mom gave it to him.

GoSox
08-04-2004, 09:47 PM
That must be why he's won so many big tournies this year, LOL !!!! He should be PhilED, as in past tense.

dogmeat
08-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Phil is a Phine player, and a Phunny guy to watch Phester over a bad beat. He is certainly not Phirst in my book of players, though.

There are dozens of excellent tournament players now. His track record does speak well - 9 championships.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Justin A
08-05-2004, 12:48 AM
Good idea, lets judge players by what they've done this year. So the greatest tournament players in the world are Greg Raymer, Scott Fischman, and Martin whats-his-name at the WPT finals.

Justin A

Justin A
08-05-2004, 12:53 AM
What has Phil Ivey done for you lately? If by lately you mean this year, Hellmuth did cash in six WSOP events.

What has Doyle Brunson done for you lately? He can't be too good either I guess.

Johnny Chan can't be too good either, he hasn't won tournaments this year.

Phil won bracelets as recently as last year, if that's not lately enough for you then you really need to re-evaluate your understanding of variance in tournament poker.

Justin A

NNH
08-05-2004, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He want to be the face of poker doing commercials getting sponsership from big companies etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I he wasn't so pasty-looking he'd have a chance.

jwvdcw
08-05-2004, 03:42 PM
I'm starting to like him more and more just because everyone seems to hate him so much but he really is a great player.

jwvdcw
08-05-2004, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can beat any dead player alive!

[/ QUOTE ]

this one has me /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

StickyWicket
08-05-2004, 04:03 PM
It means he can't beat them...they're dead.

or

It means he can beat them so bad, they'll come back to life...

Dominic? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

wacki
08-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Has anyone here actually read his book?

Beavis68
08-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Play Poker Like the Pros? I read it, and I think it is the best BEGINNERS poker book on the market. It may not teach you to crush games, but it helped me win in holdem and omaha.

I used to be a huge Phil fan, but I am beginning to get tired of the whining, the bad play against Antonio on two occasions, and against Hoyt, then claiming he was UNLUCKY - ugh.

I will still suck up to him anytime I see him on UB though.

MCS
08-06-2004, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[PPLTP] may not teach you to crush games, but it helped me win in holdem

[/ QUOTE ]

I read the limit hold'em section in Borders one day, and I thought it was totally nuts. I haven't read the rest of the book, but I've heard it's okay.

Hellmuth is entertaining. He can be a jerk at the poker table, but it also seems he is a good guy away from it, which is much more important to me. I value someone's commitment to their family way more than poker manners.

So I used to really dislike him, but now, I actually think he's okay. Though I do get tired of his nonsense.

Jimbo
08-07-2004, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a huge fan of Phil. I am very competitive in anything I do, so when I lose a big pot, I also get very upset, similar to Phil.

It's not that Phil cries and whines forno reason - he is a competitor and wants to win. He is just perhaps over passionate (if there is such a thing) about poker, and I see nothing wrong with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

So since you are a poor sport and Helmuth is as well this makes you both better players? I am missing the train of logic here.

Jimbo