PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep betting?

ftball0000
08-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Let me know what you guys think

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

purnell
08-03-2004, 09:42 PM
I think I would play it the same. Your opponent is not giving you any information at all here. He may have a king with a weak kicker, a queen, a ten, a pocket pair, or a busted draw. Without a read on him (ie what hands does he raise preflop with? What does he think of you? Does he play passively or aggressively post-flop?) it is hard to guess. He almost certainly doesn't have a straight, a set, or two pair, and if he does he did you a favor by not raising you on the turn. The river value bet is a judgement call. Do you think he will call you down with a worse hand? You might want to go for a cheap showdown here by check/calling the river, it really depends on what you think he has and what you think he will do with it. IMHO.

StellarWind
08-04-2004, 02:28 PM
Do you have any idea how aggressive this player is preflop? You really could use some information.

I think folding preflop is a perfectly reasonable play unless you know UTG+2 to be an aggressive raiser. AA, KK, QQ, and AK all dominate you. Most micro players don't raise with much else although some raise with much less. You also do not stand well against AQ (possibly suited) unless you get it heads up.

Once he caps and you get this flop you need to worry about AA (4 outs), KK (4 outs), QQ (4 outs), and AK (4 outs). AJ, TT, and KQ are also terrible news in case he is aggressive and could have a weaker hand. Why are you raising? What are you playing him for?

I call the flop and fold the turn when I don't improve.

Do not bet this river. He's calling down because he thinks you have two pair, a set, or a straight. The odds are against you being ahead here. Expect to see something like AK or AA most of the time.

kgrad5
08-04-2004, 02:36 PM
his pf raise tells you he has a good hand, typically unknowns only cap with high pairs, if your lucky he has 10 10 but ak is also a possibility, his check calling is looking good for you but it can also be deceiving, he might be afraid of your trips, a river check might be the best play here i think, if hes letting you bet for him a likely place for him to get you is by raising the river and trapping you for an extra bet, i think your only safe outs here is the 2 Q outs and the 4 10 outs as the A could just as easily give him top 2 this is tricky but i think i would do the same as you with the exception of checking the river and calling 1 bet

chief444
08-04-2004, 02:38 PM
JJ is the only hand that you beat that would normally cap pf. And even JJ may not call the river. I'm checking this river through.

Sent
08-04-2004, 03:12 PM
That river was definately a blank so I doubt he is going anywhere. Take the free showdown.

-Sent

prrthd
08-04-2004, 03:29 PM
I would have folded pre-flop. Is that too tight?

StellarWind
08-04-2004, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
JJ is the only hand that you beat that would normally cap pf.

[/ QUOTE ]
Normally??

JJ is a possible hand for him but I would not expect it to cap very often.

ftball0000
08-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the great replies guys.... The other guy ended up having AA and I was big loser. Stellarwind you were right on and I realize that I was too agreesive against this guy after a cap.

Thanks again,
-Ftball