PDA

View Full Version : Was this a bad call?

hummusx
08-03-2004, 03:47 PM
This guy had been very aggressive, and I'd seen him pull moves just like this a couple times. I don't recall getting to see the hands as normally everyone folded. Overall I thought his min raise meant he had a marginal hand. I couldn't see him pulling that with a premium hand.

The main reason I'm concerned is that one of my big problems is not believing people have hands when they do, and calling crap that I should be laying down. So what do you think?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP1 (t695)
MP2 (t765)
<font color="C00000">CO (t1330)</font>
Button (t1175)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t680)</font>
BB (t1218)
UTG (t1302)
UTG+1 (t835)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t30, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to t60</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t45, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls t30.

Flop: (t210) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, UTG calls t125, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to t1270 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t495 (All-In), UTG folds.

Turn: (t2225) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t2225) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2225

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Js Kh (one pair, kings).
CO shows 7s As (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins t1575. CO wins t650. </font>

kyro
08-03-2004, 04:05 PM
Yes, it was a bad call. It was a bad call preflop. It was a bad call on the flop. Well, maybe not a bad call, but you got yourself into an ugly position unnecessarily.

KJo isn't very strong. You need to fold it out of position, unless you can play it for one half a bet.

I wouldn't put my tournament on the line for top pair, decent kicker. Once you bet out a good portion of your stack, you really have no choice but to go all-in, but that's the trouble with playing crap like KJo.

Good luck at the tables and keep posting here.

ddubois
08-03-2004, 04:22 PM
We can give general advice, and say under normal circumstances this is a bad call, but we can't tell you how good your read was. If your read says he is a LAG and makes too many moves to be beleived, then that's your read, and if you want to go with it, it's your decision. Making reads comes from experience, and over time you'll get better at it. Just make sure that your read comes from rational logic, and not from wishful thinking.

I do see people minraise with monsters, although generally not so much at level 1/2. I still would have folded pre-flop regardless, KJo sucks.

JDO
08-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Never underestimate the ability of of your opponents to make bad plays. On the other-hand, if he is taking down pots with min. raises, maybe he was making a good play. Playing aggressive into a weak-tight table sounds like a pretty good stratagy to me. Whether he's a mild-maniac, calling station, or whatever, is your decision to make based on reads.

But, I agree. KJ off is not a very good hand when you are 8 handed. There aren't many flops that it likes. I think I would've dumped this hand. Especially being a bit of a short stack.