PDA

View Full Version : Thanks David Sklansky

05-04-2002, 05:27 PM
I believe I have identified the single most significant reason I am a winning player at limit hold'em. For about a year now I've been in the black, after a couple years of learning and floundering. /images/smile.gif

And I believe it's mostly due to David's book on theory, where he explicitly lays out the following concept in the chapter: "headup on the end":

When acting first and holding a decent but not great hand:

If your opponent will call with more hands than he will bet when you check, bet into him. If he will bet with more hands than he will call with if you bet, check-call.

(Notice the salient absence of the folding option)

It's so obvious it's kind of pathetic I needed to have it spelled out for me. I hope I would have figured it out eventually, or maybe Tommy might have grudgingly let me in on the secret one day, but David got me there a lot quicker.

In retrospect, my misunderstanding of how to play the river in this spot was such a huge leak in my game I think it was probably the MAIN reason I couldn't break into a positive win rate. (that and defending my big blind too much)

Thanks David, that one chapter you wrote has been worth probably a couple thousand dollars to me.

natedogg

nate-web@thegrovers.com