PDA

View Full Version : Who do you root for?

SpiderMnkE
08-03-2004, 02:33 PM
Say you are watching a tournament or NL game and two players go all in. One is a big favorite over the other.

Who do you root for? Do you find yourself rooting for the good hand to hold up... or do you root for the underdog?

I think I usually root for the underdog cuz I get a kick out of seeing someone sucked out on.

Peter Harris
08-03-2004, 02:54 PM
there is an interesting article i had to read for my social enquiry exams on "why we root for the underdog".

The reference is
Becker, Howard S. (1967) 'Whose side are we on?'
Social Problems, 14 (3), pp239-47. Copyright 1966

and talks about how "underdogs" are by definition running contrary to the dominant discourse in a society (in poker's case, being in with the worst of it); some people root for these people as they are considered "underrepresented".

So, don't be surprised if a lot of people root for the underdog, it's apparently a "natural" instinct to side with them.

Sorry to give such an academia geeky answer!

Regards,
Pete Harris

fnord_too
08-03-2004, 03:01 PM
I root for who I personally like the best. If I am indifferent, I probably root for the shorter stack, since the big stack winning ends the show.

fnord_too
08-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Just reread the post and I think the situation is NOT last two players and the two players have the same stack size. In that case, if I am indifferent to the players, I probably root for who I empathize most with (e.g. I hope the Aces hold against that JQs because I went out of a big tourned when JQs cracked my aces.)

SpiderMnkE
08-03-2004, 03:23 PM
I guess if I saw AA vs Q3 clubs I'd have to root for the Aces. Seeing as how I always root for the underdog.

Everyone's got their hand!!

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-03-2004, 03:38 PM
When the Cheetah is chasing the Gazelle, I cheer for the Cheetah. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mayhap
08-03-2004, 10:15 PM
It's like when the obese fellow walks into the deli. I stop rooting for pastrami sandwich.
/M