PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up vs John Juanda

Nottom
08-03-2004, 02:32 PM
So I'm poking around on Full Tilt looking for a game when I see John Juanda sitting all by himself at a 3/6 table. I figure I have nothing better to do, so I'll play a top pro heads up.

I take down a few pots and then a 3rd player joins us, I suck out on JJ and checkraise him on the river after spiking a gutshot with J8s which I 3-bet him with preflop.

A few hands later this hand comes up.

JJ is in the SB and I am in the BB with KJo. Button folds, Juanda raises, I 3-bet, he caps.

Flop is KQ4
He bets, I call

Turn is a 7
He bets I call

River is a 2
He bets, I call.

I think I should have raised the river ... anyone agree/disagree?

Vehn
08-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Shoulda raised somewhere.

lil'
08-03-2004, 02:42 PM
If you're going to raise, I think that's a good place to try it. River raises are scary, so there is less of a chance of being three bet by something like A-K.

If he three bet your raise you would...

Nate tha' Great
08-03-2004, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I'm poking around on Full Tilt looking for a game when I see John Juanda sitting all by himself at a 3/6 table. I figure I have nothing better to do, so I'll play a top pro heads up.

I take down a few pots and then a 3rd player joins us, I suck out on JJ and checkraise him on the river after spiking a gutshot with J8s which I 3-bet him with preflop.

A few hands later this hand comes up.

JJ is in the SB and I am in the BB with KJo. Button folds, Juanda raises, I 3-bet, he caps.

Flop is KQ4
He bets, I call

Turn is a 7
He bets I call

River is a 2
He bets, I call.

I think I should have raised the river ... anyone agree/disagree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd raise, but only if he bet the river dark.

Ba-dump-bump.

Seriously, I think you need to plan on raising somewhere in the hand when it's 2- or 3-handed and you have top pair with a reasonable kicker; whether that comes on the flop, turn or river really depends on board texture and meta-game considerations. Waiting till the river seems okay here and you do need to call a 3-bet.