PDA

View Full Version : Raised Eyebrows

05-04-2002, 12:06 PM
In a mid limit game a while back two tight, predictable and not very aggressive players limp and an average to weak player on the button raises. SB folds and I look down to see Ks-2s in the big blind. I make a very questionable call here getting around 7 to 1 (but note that there wasn’t much chance of a limp reraise in this game).

The flop comes Qh-6h-2c. All check to the button. He bets. I checkraise with my bottom pair and overcard. Comments?

All fold to the button, who is now genuinely flustered. He calls.

The turn is a small heart. I bet. The button looks down at his cards and calls with some unfeigned reluctance and consternation.

River is another small heart. My action?

Results and some comments are posted below.

05-04-2002, 12:07 PM
I agree with anyone that says my flop call was too loose.

I checked the river. I figured any heart or pair would now call but may not bet. The button turns over AK offsuit (no hearts) and I win the pot. This play (especially my flop checkraise) raised more eyebrows than any hand I’ve played and I went on without comment. However, I’d appreciate your comments and flames.

05-04-2002, 12:42 PM
Your flop check-raise with bottom pair overcard kicker with two players trapped in the middle was just standard. Having a king kicker is especially good after flopping a pair, since you then dominate AK and KJs (though you don't like the Q on board since you would be toast to KQ.)

I misread the fluster. What's to be flustered about with heartless AK with a Q on the flop and 3 hearts by the turn? That hand would not fluster me - I would muck it without a second thought. So I misread the opponent and put him on 77-JJ or, if he was running very bad, QJ/KQ/AQ/KK/AA. Since he checked his cards, I can rule out a flush on the turn (unless it's a tricky 60-120 player), and with his continued fluster it seems he lacks even a heart. So, I would have bet out on river, expecting him to muck a heartless pair in frustration. If you check and there's a bet, then neither calling nor folding seem very appealing.

Your opponent played the hand horribly, but I think you missed a critical bet. If your opponents raised their eyebrows because of your flop play, then they stink. If your opponents raised their eyebrows because of your river play, then I share their sentiment.

05-04-2002, 02:08 PM
I would bet the river here. There looks like there's a good chance to get him to lay down a better pair.

05-04-2002, 02:45 PM
The flop raise was fine. Not only was it a decent semi-bluff (sounds like you had a chance to win it right there), but it's quite possible you had the best hand, with AK drawing to only 4 outs.

While I would bet the river here, I don't think it's as mandatory as Abdul claims. For the simple reason that this fish looked back at his cards when the third suited card came on the turn, then called, indicating that he probably had a heart if didn't already have you beat.

Even if he didn't currently have you beat, the peek at the cards before the call, and the fourth suited on the river may have indicated that you were beat on the end.

But, like I said, I'd bet the river (you're getting 8:1 from the pot) just in case he could lay down a better hand, which he'd only have to do about 10% of the time for the bet to be correct.

DC

05-05-2002, 12:37 AM
You may have pushed the envelope a bit, but I think your play is fine up until 5th street where I come up with more good things happening from a bet than a check.

05-05-2002, 12:51 AM
Abdul,

Maybe I used a poor choice of words to describe my opponent. This guy would call with a pair or any heart on the river once he called on 4th. But my Hero/friend instantly said bet the river after reading my original post.

Regards,

Rick

05-05-2002, 12:57 AM
Daniel,

I expect him to check the river and show me a better hand. But maybe you guys are right. I needed to bet this river but it sure didn't feel right at the time. This kind of weak opponent calls the river if he calls the turn. After all, he was already in the calling mode on the turn. But he doesn't bluff bet me out. In Abdul's game it is a different story I'm sure.

Regards,

Rick

05-05-2002, 02:28 AM
I agree with Abdul...the only decent play you have on the flop in that situation is to check-raise (those players who raised their eyebrows at your flop play are georges and I wish I could get into a game with them). A call is the absolute worst play, and a fold is not far behind. You made the right decision to check-raise, get it heads-up, and out-play the weaker opponent.

On the river, I would've bet. From what you described, there was no fear of a raise from this rabbit, and a bet may have gotten him to lay his hand down. If for some reason he did call and win the pot, that one extra bet will probably get you a lot more action on your solid hands later on, both from this rabbit and some of the other "better" players at the table. (Actually, with all the raised eyebrows, did you indeed get callled more by these players after this hand?)

Back to battle,

Riker

05-05-2002, 11:19 AM
Rick,

Ok, I may have misinterpreted the player description a little. If the player is going to call because he feels he committed himself by calling on the turn, then of course you have to check the river. And I would never call a bet here. I just feel like I'm used to seeing even weak opponents lay down on the river on 4 flush board if they don't have a flush (actually, I find that weak opponents fold on 4 flush boards too much!). I just read the results--how bizarre. I thought for sure that he must have some sort of pair, and it was pretty random whether or not it contains a flush card. Anyway, given your updated player description, I think your play on the river was fine.

-Dan

05-05-2002, 02:15 PM
Judging from your description of your opponent and his behavior, I would bet the river as I expect he might just ditch a hand that beats you, convinced that he has now lost to a heart flush. Your confident bet lets him know that he is in fact beaten, just like he thought would happen.

I wonder if I am anything even close to correct on this one!

now to see the result...

05-05-2002, 02:18 PM
I really had no question about your flop or turn play, I thought they were fine. I still think betting the river would have been better than checking, especially if you would have called had he bet. I think those times he mucks a pair better than deuces (fearing a flush) is worth the river bet.