PDA

View Full Version : victim of stop and go?

Paul2432
08-03-2004, 01:19 PM
I wonder if anyone calls here. Was I the victim of a stop and go?

This hand occurred in the Pokerstars $10 rebuy tournament. Blinds are 300/600 a50. I have about 11000, EP has me covered. EP raises to $1800 and I re-raise to 3800 holding 99. Folded around and he calls. Flop comes Q74. He moves all-in. I fold.

Thinking about the hand later, I feel I should have called.

Paul

MLG
08-03-2004, 01:28 PM
You are in a pretty crappy position there. I think the fold is ok, he could just as easily have been on A-Q or AA, many times these kind of bets are players trying to get value because so many online players have trouble folding.

On another note, I don't like reraising ane EP raise with 99 here unless he is a consistent open raiser, and you think he will be able to lay down a hand like A-10 or 1010 before the flop. Also, your reraise was too small, as even if he had only one overcard to your 9s you gave him the right price to call. You should be bumping it up to more like 4.5 here at the minimum, and since thats a 3rd of your stack if you want to repop him I would recomend moving in.

The problem with stacks that hover around 20x is that there is seldom a lot of reraise room, and I think a lot of players try to get too cute with their reraises. Bad players like to call when reraised preflop and these smallish reraises makes it right for them to do so.

Greg (FossilMan)
08-03-2004, 03:23 PM
If you were the victim, then the opponent was wrong to use the play. When they bet the flop all-in, they were betting about the size of the pot. That means they could've reraised the pot preflop. One of main criterion that makes the stop-and-go correct to apply is a situation where you've got too strong of a hand to fold, you don't have enough chips to make the opponent lay down with a preflop raise, but you do have enough chips to make them lay down to a postflop bet.

Here, the opponent has enough chips to make you lay it down preflop if they reraise. Now, it may be that you wouldn't have laid down 99 here, but maybe you would. And if not 99, there are hands with which you would've raised and then folded to their all-in reraise.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

gergery
08-03-2004, 03:48 PM
What is an EP player going to raise with and then call your raise with?
Depending on player, I could see KK-77, AK/AQ.

So you are only ahead of AK (by 3:1) and 88/77 (by 6:1) and very behind at 6:1 to KK,JJ,TT,AQ. So unless you had a pretty good read or he’s been bluffing a lot, it’s a good fold.

I would also just call with 99 preflop

SparrowHawk
08-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Great point Greg!