PDA

View Full Version : True Hourly Win Rate

skirtus
08-03-2004, 11:55 AM
I play both limit holdem ring games and $10 SnG's. I'm trying to compare my hourly win rate of limit vs. SnGs. The limit is easy to track using PokerTracker. Since I'm comparing apples to oranges I need to find a common denominator. I'm using $/100 hands as a starting point.

.50/1.00 Limit 5BB/100 hands or $5/100 hands.

$10 SnG's $4.50/SNG
$10 SnG's 50 Hands/SNG = $9/100 hands.

I also think the SnG hands go much quicker than the limit ring game hands due to obvious reasons. I would estimate the hands are played 2x as fast if not faster.

So If I 1 table both and use 50 hands/hour for limit and 100 hands/hour for SnG's I would have the following hourly win rate for each:

.50/1.00 $2.50/hour
$10+1 SNG $9.00/hour

Does this make sense? I will continue to play both but figure I should be spending more of my time playing SnG's to make more profit.

Cleveland Guy
08-03-2004, 12:48 PM
Just curious - where did you get that a SnG takes 50 hands?

Might just be the size and the site you play on.

It seems that the SnG's I'm in have 10 levels to a hand - and to win I usually go at least till level 8. Which is closer to 80 hands - or are you including snG when you might crap out after 20 hands - so it's more like an average?

Just curious.

skirtus
08-03-2004, 12:57 PM
I got the # of hands per SnG by taking my total SnG hands divided by total SnG's. It averaged 53 hands per SnG over 90 SnG's.

Cleveland Guy
08-03-2004, 01:03 PM
That makes sense then. I figured it out as I was typing that you were probably inlcuding all SnGs - those you won and those you finished 8th in.

Phill S
08-04-2004, 06:39 AM
maybe im just plain wrong.

surely measuring it in hands is leaves a huge amount of variability. wouldnt time be a much better way.

when i played ring games (sit and go only now) i always measured sessions in time and profit. with sit and goes i record the time taken, and profit. therefor i get a more accurate average of hourly earnings.

now the reason i see this as the better method comes down to:
1, how long is a minute
2, how long is a hand

only one varies, and it does so by an easy 400% margin (at a rough estimate).

Phill

skirtus
08-04-2004, 08:02 AM
I agree with Phil that the actual time taken to play the tournament would work best. I was looking for simple way of using my poker tracker info to calculate a hourly win rate. I could take the exact time from my first hand played til my last hand played in poker tracker. This would be more work but would give me a true win rate.